Nikon Coolscan 9000ED banding issue

<p>I recently purchased a Coolscan 9000, and I'm getting a banding across the whole frame. I've tried lots of different frames and settings in Vuescan and Nikon Scan with the same result. When I tried multi sampling x5 it virtually disappeared. Any clues as to what this might be, hardware or software?<br>

Thanks Geoff</p><div>00YN5w-338709584.jpg.e2e1d10076e28b9292e6fd8da8b68b52.jpg</div>

<p>The LS-9000 uses a three row sensor to speed up scanning. You can operate it with only one row in the fine scanning mode (read the manual), which eliminates banding at the expense of somewhat slower scans. You will always see banding in open areas of medium density (e.g., sky) or if you bump the contrast of underexposed film.</p>

<p>Edward, thanks for getting back. I have tried the fine scanning mode and the banding has gone. The scan times are really slow though as you say!<br>

Could this be a hardware issue with the misalignment of the CCD's or is this normal for a 9000?<br>

I have a Coolscan 5000 as well, which has 2 CCD's I think, and have never seen this issue.</p>

<p>Pretty much guaranteed with 8000/9000. The question is whether or not it will be visible at normal print sizes. I always use Fine mode, and I suspect everyone else does as well. I'd also guess most experienced scanners do not use multi-sampling, which causes noticeable softness. </p>

<p>I've seen banding with an LS-4000, which has a single row sensor. It depends on the subject matter, film density and subsequent processing (planned or default). Scanning is, after all, performed in a series of parallel strips. Processing must be a significant factor, because as seen in the agregious example in the OP, banding disappears where there is significant detail in the image.</p>

<p>I have to go with the above, Geoff; Absolutely no banding, neither in multi sampling mode, nor in CCD <strong><em>"super fine"</em></strong> mode, which I suppose Scott was refering to when he mentioned <em>"Fine mode"</em>... Just like your's, my scanner is a recent addition, new I might add. You said nothing of the condition of your 9000, used or new..? Also, neither film type nor size were mentioned.<br /> Should <strong>Les</strong> return to this here Forum: Compared to scans from previous scanners like the 5000, I find results from the 9000 a lot cleaner & smoother with hardly any of the darn pepper grain. Yet I set GEM to the 1 minimum. Drawback seems to be a certain lack of detail (sharpness) in some small areas like (underexposed) eyes of birds. No improvement with 4 or even 8 times multi sampling. A real bummer.</p>

<p>Thanks for all yor responses.<br>

Since I posted after running the scanner for the first time and getting the banding I’ve had a bit more time to scan different types of film/format. The scanner is as new, as I bought it from a guy who bought it new in November 2010 for a project that never materialized and so decided to sell.<br>

The example I posted was the first roll of 35mm Ilford FP4 that I scanned in Vuescan. On most of the frames with flat areas of tone I could see the banding. In ‘fine mode’ it disappeared. In NikonScan it was there but just about – not anywhere near as noticeable.<br>

And on certain frames (visible banding in Viuescan)I couldn’t see it at all.<br>

I’ve scanned more b/w 35mm/b’w 120 and 35mm colour neg and slide and haven’t seen the issue in either Vuescan or Nikon Scan!<br>

That first roll of Ilford was also scanned on the 5000 with no banding visible.<br>

So, not really sure whats going on. Maybe it was settling down!</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I scanned in Vuescan. On most of the frames with flat areas of tone I could see the banding. In ‘fine mode’ it disappeared. In NikonScan it was there but just about ...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's interesting. I'm guessing that each row of the CCD requires separate gain compensation for the color filter or just due to manufacturing tolerance differences. These are calibration parameters that Nikonscan would be privy to, but the author of Vuescan probably has to reverse engineer out.</p>

<p>I'm glad that it's settling down. It's a greater scanner, and the only game left in town in any case.</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>If it furthers the discussion, I've been scanning with a new 9000ED for about twenty months without banding. Yesterday, the banding first appeared. It isn't something that can be missed. I turned off the IR Filter and it remained. I gave up and scanned my negatives on my Epson V750 Pro. My warranty is up, but I do have Mac aftermarket warranty service. I don't know how that works, or if they do a decent job, but I'm now viewing this as a problem with one of the CCD rows...either the CCD, or the inline processing.</p>