My first formal shoot on location

<p>My day to day is wedding photography which is a mixture of the formal and the spontaneous, very time restricted and all the usual stresses...so i thought I would try a more organised bridal shoot with several models, a nice location, some retro and vintage dresses, matching make up and styles etc. All to aim for more editorial/fashion styles. I've done some studio work and have lights, brollies and softboxes as needed.<br>

All of the people are falling into place, the location looks promising, if expensive. But to sort out the booking for the venue (a local castle with views of the Island of Arran) I need to work out timings and develop a plan for the shoot. Probably biting off more than I can chew I know, but I want to get it right.<br>

Assuming 3-4 models how much time should I be allowing for hair and make up for each model (assuming they can still work on models B, C and D while I am taking pictures of A).<br>

Does anyone have a checklist or a plan structure to guide a shoot which they could share with me? I'm kind of thinking of something like a mini script or storyboard process I guess.<br>

Do you have an actual checklist of the must haves for a location shoot with multiple subjects?<br>

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments (other than don't do it! and are you mad?)</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Hi Duncan, not sure if you have had your shoot yet but if so would be great to see what you have achieved. I have done a few bridal/fashion shoots now.None of them have been paid work but great for self promo..Timings, can be quite similar to when a bride gets ready over an hour maybe depending on how complex for just the hair and then 1hour maybe for makeup again depending how complex..this can be great for getting your lighting set up etc.. i would obviously do a recci before the shoot and just make sure all your ideas are possible, can you move certain things, what dress will suit each location/backdrop best, where the light will be best to start the shoot off and where it will be best to finish... this is where timings become key.. talk to your makeup/hair artists for rough timings.. i wouldn't get bogged down on worrying on planning too much but just a basic structure. i like to let the shoot flow and more importantly have fun! <br>

Good Luck!!<br>

ps take lots of water, tea/coffee and a few sandwiches and chocolate.. </p>