Hasselblad softar I, II, III example photos

jukka1

<p>Hi!<br />I am considering softars for my 180/4 cf lens. I don't find exampe photos from the internet.<br />Which one of those would be most suitable for portraiture and does it affect if they have some scrathces?<br>

Sincerely, Jukka</p>

<p>Jukka,</p>

<p>I agree with Russ. I've used them for years and I seem to use the I on almost all portrait images. I would only use the II on extreme close ups where detail is quite large in the frame, otherwise, on a smaller head size, it starts to get almost too soft. A III is really extreme unless you have very, very harsh lighting on a face like using a spot for the main with a 5 to 1 contrast ratio or greater..</p>

<p>As above, Softar I. Get new if you can, and guard it with your life. Scratches will produce unpredictable flare and degrade image quality, whereas the minute 'lenses' on the surface of Softars create a measured degree of softening, as well as measured flare, when you want it, with selected back lighting. The areas between those 'lenses' needs to be crystal clear to maintain image quality.</p>

<p>Thanks for your responses!<br />I ordered softar I, I will only use its with portraits so I think it is best suited for me.<br>

Can I see the effect on the screen when taking a photo or just in darkroom when photo is on paper?<br>

Sincerely, Jukka</p>

<p>Jukka,</p>

<p>You will definitely see the effect on the screen, especially as your eye goes from looking at the subject to looking through the camera. It will become more apparent s you enlarge the image, but it is very noticeable while you are shooting.</p>