SAMYANG 14mm

michellemandat

<p>To get an idea of how this lens would perform on a Pentax DSLR, try this review:</p>

<p>http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/533-samyang14f28eosapsc</p>

<p>The review that Anirban linked to was done on a full-frame camera, so the distortion and vignetting results would be worse than they'd be on an APS-C DSLR such as those made by Pentax. Specifically, on APS-C cameras the lens' distortion isn't as mustache-like, which would make it a bit easier to correct in post processing. The vignetting would require much less correction as well.</p>

<p>Well, the most obvious benefit is price -- under $450, depending on where you buy it, compared to $700+ for the Pentax 14/2.8.</p>

<p>It's also sharper and has slightly less CA than the Pentax.</p>

<p>The Pentax has the advantages of autofocus, less distortion, and being more compact. It also doesn't huge a huge bulbous front element.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>@Anirban: I know that the lens has distortion - there's a good animation on PF that shows the effect at its worst. I was just saying that in this case I can't notice it. Probably for the reason mentioned by RTD or maybe because Michel has applied some correction.</p>