No Experience, Shooting Solo, Aboard a ship...What do I do?

andrew_west5

<p>Alarm bells are going off on this one for me too. I'd take a rain check. The outlying factors (family drama) are what are the spoiler for me in this case. Techniques and relevant skills can be learnt, but IMO the exposure to litigation and possible reputation jeopardizing are both a bit too ominous...</p>

<p>Fret, worry, angst, drama, clenched fists, veins popping, sweating, nail biting, knees knocking ... you'd think this was a life and death situation.</p>

<p>Life tosses you a few opportunities to get out there and experience living and fun. Some people step-up with a big grin, and some hide in the corner in a pool of sweat. Only YOU know which one you are.</p>

<p>I'd go back and negotiate a better deal ... get the passage paid for both of you in return for full personal usage rights for all the photos taken ... which they will not get from most Pros or ship's photographer. What do you care? You aren't making a living from weddings. You just need to solve this immediate problem. If they decline, so be it. </p>

<p>Nadine already outlined the most economical way to prep your gear ... to which I'd possibly only add a mono-pod which is useful in tighter quarters ... which I'd buy used (you already have a pistol grip head).</p>

<p>BTW, the only other practical advice I can add to this is to ask if you get sea sick? I have a ship reception this may, and the ONLY slight concern I have is getting violently sick. Google: <em>Avoiding Sea Sickness </em>... lots of advice from hard-core prescription prevention, to what to eat while on board. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>@Bob - the only time he'd have to worry about getting gear wet on a cruise liner is if the wedding is out doors and it is raining - As Nadine said - most are comparable to shooting in a ballroom or such. If the ship is docked during the event - even better. </p>

<p>@Marc - Most (not all, but most) cruise lines use the same photography service - which now offers CD's of images (JPEG format) and full reproduction rights. There might be one or two exceptions - but generally ship board photographers are going the way of CD's and rights now. They too are not making a living doing weddings - they are making it by selling 8x10 prints for $20.00 per to passengers that only want 1 or 2 photos of their trip.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>I caution of the use of a monopod on a cruise ship, I've shot on lots of ships (I shoot commercially for an expeditionary cruise company) and ships vibrate when the engine is running, a monopod transfers the vibration to your camera. Get yourself a 'POD' for when you want to steady or rest the camera on a stationary object. Pods absorb much of the vibration and are what all of the shipboard photographers and videographers use.<br>

<a href="http://www.thepod.ca/store/">http://www.thepod.ca/store/</a><br>

Other than that I'd say 'no thank you' to the gig,given the family drama and the cost to you (which sound like a hardship). I was in your shoes once, and to this day barely communicate with the bride (my cousin) due to the fact that I was expected to work and deliver prints for free with no consideration to my personal expenses, work, etc., etc. It was an unfortunate mess.<br>

If you do decide to do it, make sure you have a written contract which includes what they will and will not be paying for, and what the expectations are.</p>

<p>Cruiseships and water. Rare that you will get a camera wet on a cruise ship. I've never lost a camera to water on a cruise ship but we did get a pretty messed up lab due to a storm. Here is a passenger video of that storm. I was working as a ships photographer during that storm.<br>

<p>Run away from this like a rat jumping off a sinking ship. (Sorry, couldn't resist.) I vote for the ship's photographer. Every cruise I have been on has had not just one but a staff of official photographers who maybe weren't Monte Zucker but did a very competent job of formal portraits. The mother of the bride won't have to pay them any more than what she would have to pay for your room on the ship. Be honest with her that you don't have the equipment, the expertise or the confidence to shoot a wedding. Since you can't afford the trip otherwise, I would skip the wedding entirely (assuming you're still invited without your camera), but send a nice non-photo-related wedding present.</p>

<p>I don't envy your position. I don't think the Bride and Groom know what they are asking you to do which does put you in an extremely awkward position and to be honest you don't sound confident enough to carry it off. I don't mean to be rude but if this is worrying you now then it will niggle at the back of your head until the wedding happens.<br>

For me it takes three warning signs to walk away - there are the family dramas, you have to pay to get there and you've never done it before. This is a little different to taking a few photos in a friends back garden.<br>

If it helps turn the job (yes it is a job) down why not get offended that they spent all that money on the boat and thought they could save a few £$£ by letting you pick up the financial slack.<br>

It doesn't sound like you want to do it so don't.<br>

Marc</p>

<p>i was in an almost equal situation last year with my brother in law wedding. I was panicking after they asked me to be their photographer. But luckily, my brother in law and his fiance are smart, so they realized before I even said anything about my concerns that it would be better to have the resort photographer as the photographer for the main event and some formals. I just did bridal and candids. Worked out pretty good because it was well planed and everyone knew what they were getting. My in laws got professional wedding photos from the pro, artsy bridal photos from someone unexperienced but fresh, the pro got his money and i got experience shooting a beautiful bride. we did not have a contract, because it was clear from them that they wanted me to enjoy the wedding more that they wanted my photos, but they knew that by taking some photos I would be even more happy.<br>

My parents in law paid for our flights and hotel, but obviously that was unrelated to me taking the photos, only to do with the fact that my husband is their other son!<br>

All in all, I completely agree with the rest in suggesting you decline their offer. I would simply say "We just can afford it unless we get all of our expenses paid". Because it sounds like Jeff is saying. You are actually paying to photograph their wedding.</p>

<p>First, you'll be doing them a disservice by photographing their once-in-a-lifetime event. You don't have the experience and the equipment doesn't make the photographer or any other profession for that matter.<br>

If they are not happy in any way, they're family/friends and that will never change. It's not like you can forget about them and move on with your life. You may wind up losing a very close friendship over this.<br>

What's the upside? It sounds like no matter what you do, this is going to cost you money. You are a better judge of your capabilities than the bride's family. For whatever reason, these situations never seem to have a happy ending. Wish them well and turn them down.</p>