control my nikon tehtering

dennis_brabender

<p>Has anybody tried the control my nikon tethering program?<br>

the videos put out by the site look good better than spending the big bucks on camera control pro but when I try to install it my Norton keeps saying that there is a threat.<br>

Don't know if Norton is being overly protective or if there is a threat.<br>

Thanks for any input</p>

<p>i hadn't heard of this product, but after browsing the site it does NOT appear to be a front for hackers who want to gain control of your computer under the guise of you remote controlling your nikon... consequently, i believe its a case of norton being "overly protective," as you say.<br>

indeed, i work on computers for a living, and have come to have a pretty poor opinion of the norton anti-virus/internet-protection software packages. they seem bloated and overly controlling of one's use of the computer. i spent an inordinate amount of time yesterday removing norton from a coworker's vista notebook. it literally took over an hour, and a special removal software, to finally get rid of it.<br>

my personal preference at present is microsoft security essentials. besides working well, it's free. in operation it's unobtrusive, but at the same time it finds viruses at least as well as the commercial offerings, in my experience.<br>

i'm tempted to look at the control my nikon tethering software myself, after reviewing that site. not that i really need it, but it looks pretty cool. meantime, just for the sake of having something that actually will let me control the cameras from my netbook, i use something called DIYphotobits.com. it's quite modest but does what it says it will do.</p>

<p>This is a common problem in programs that "control stuff". Many programs that manipulate the USB, parallel, or serial ports use a particular access library that allows you to poke ports in a "fast and loose" way that bypasses the normal driver security model. That same library is often linked into trojans, because it's an easy way to get low level access to disks. It sets off warnings on most virus checkers, not just Norton.</p>

<p>Since there are proper, secure libraries for working USB ports, including one that supports PTP protocol under Linux, Windows, and Mac, I'd say use of a problematic library was sufficient reason to dump this program.</p>

<p>basically I am looking for some kind of way to transfer my pictures to my pc while shooting<br>

maybe I need to look into a wi fi<br>

I have a d7000 so I could send basic jpeg to the wifi and send my raw to slot 2<br>

wonder how long it would take to see the pictures<br>

not too crazy about dragging a long cord around attached to my pc</p>

<p>My Norton also blocked the download. This software does look interesting. It seems to do a lot for a very small price. But then you know what they say, "If it's too good to be true...then it probably isn't".<br>

To echo Dennis's question, if anyone has this running on their computer, please let us know of any issues and kindly offer any feedback from your experience.<br>

Thanks</p>

<p> </p>

<p>After reading this thread, I downloaded and installed "Control My Nikon". I'm impressed with the control it gives. I'm running win7 64bit and the default Windows Photo Viewer will not open the NEF files. Nikon doesn't have a 64 bit codec available. If you change the file association to use Windows Live Photo Gallery you can view the nef files. If I keep it I'll install Photoshop or lightroom on the lap top and get beyong the codec issue,<br>

So far it seems like a great deal for the price.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>After reading this thread, I downloaded and installed "Control My Nikon". I'm impressed with the control it gives. I'm running win7 64bit and the default Windows Photo Viewer will not open the NEF files. Nikon doesn't have a 64 bit codec available. If you change the file association to use Windows Live Photo Gallery you can view the nef files. If I keep it I'll install Photoshop or lightroom on the lap top and get beyong the codec issue,<br>

So far it seems like a great deal for the price.</p>

<p> </p>

• 1 month later...

<p>I have been using Nikon Camera Control Pro v 2, DIYPhotoBits, Nikontrol 3K and yesterday I downloaded ControlMyNikon trial. I didn't have any problems with my Antivirus programs (Avast Internet Security 2011 + Malwarebytes). The program is -in my opinion- a photographer's "dream come true". Just see the tutorials posted on the site, download and install the trial and find out for yourself.<br>

However, I wonder why there are NO reviews in the Internet. This program, with such a low price tag, is really a give-away! It does what all other programs do and then some.<br>

On YouTube, the author of the program (a Canadian, aged 46, named Russ B) has a channel (nikstacker from May 2009) with only 14 members! Considering that this program is around for more than a year, would anybody care to comment on the program's very low profile?<br>

In my opinion this program is a star, so much so, that every Nikon user should have one.</p>

<p >Russ B, if you're reading this, please comment! Your program is the perfect software for tethered shooting. If you also consider that it can do software focus stacking, plus be voice controlled (or sound, or web etc) then it is UNIQUE!</p>

<p >PS</p>

<p >This is also what I found in dpreview:</p>

<p ><em>Remote control of your D7000 via your computer for only $10 which seems to be a overall better package than the one Nikon sells for $140 or whatever it is.</em><br>

<em>There is a trial available here:</em><br /><em><a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.controlmynikon.com/" target="_blank">http://www.controlmynikon.com/</a></em><br>

<em>If I had a D7000 (in for repair) I might try it with a notebook. Needs a reviewer.</em></p>

<p ><em>Mack</em></p>