Canon A-1 meter problem, fixable?

robertgiles

<p>I recently bought a Canon A-1 on the bay from someone who knew nothing about cameras. I know, I should have known better. It is a beautiful, unscratched black beauty, great glass, no brassing except a minute place on bottom. Recomendations for a repair service with a good record. In all fairness, he said it was almost mint.<br>

I just saw the news about the earthquake in New Zealand, my prayers for all. May God Bless. <em> </em></p>

<p>I think the folks on Canon FD forum may be of more help - there is a wealth of knowledge there about these cameras, Mark alone is a veritable encyclopedia:) I have an A1 with a wacky meter, and just decided to live with it, not sure what the nature of your issue is, but given these cameras are worth about $50 a piece, repair is usually not cost effective - having said that, it is one way to have an example that will serve you well for years to come, and in that way it may actually be worth it.. Good luck, hope you get it working!</p>

<p>I am not sure what the issue is with your particular meter, mine basically reads wrong in a non linear fashion - ie. in bright sun its almost spot on, as light levels drop the meter indicates far less light than there actually is, the less light the further off it is. Apparently there is a piece of glass or plastic in front of the meter cell that has been known to become hazy (my understanding mind you) and causing a drop in the amount of light reaching the cell. Apparently this is fairly common - not knowing your particular issue I don't know if this will be at all helpful.</p>

<p>I don't remember for sure just what battery the A-1 takes, but many of these Canon cameras of that era used Mercury batteries and do not functions properly with their alkaline replacements. Use the equivalent Wein or Varta Zinc/Air replacement or the electronic adapter sold by C.R.I.S. The last alternative is to have the meter recalibrated for use with alkaline batteries, but then the response is not so linear with time.</p>