drowned my camera, need to choose a new one

antongorlin

<p>hi all,<br>

I have drowned my D80 in the ocean last Saturday. It was a shock and a moral injury.<br>

The worst it's gone together with my nikon 12-24 lens, which I used 90% of all other lens...<br>

Repair guys say they are not repairable, but now I'm back online :) and so I need something new.<br>

Can you advise what's modern these days? Something about the same level. I'd like d700 or d3 of course, but it's not the right moment for that amount of money.<br>

d90? d7000? whatever?<br>

also, I need a new lens. I've surfed over the internet and the candidates are:<br>

1) nikon 12-24 again<br>

2) newer nikon 10-24<br>

3) tokina 11-16<br>

these guys take the best feedback. any advises here?<br>

I was pretty happy with my 12-24, but making it even wider is too tempting...</p>

<p>Sorry to hear about your loss. If you have the budget, the D7000 and Nikon's 10-24mm gets my vote. Or you can get another 12-14mm. But definitely the D7000 over any other Nikon DX body.</p>

<p>By the way, the photos in your PNET portfolio are stunning! Anyone doubting that it is more about the photographer than the camera body should take a look at yours.</p>

<p>(If you need to save money, you could I guess just replace what you had.)</p>

<p>The OP's portfolio mainly contains landscape images. For that, the D7000 is a bit of an overkill, but since it is such an excellent camera, you might as well get it. What other lenses do you still own?</p>

<p>The problem with the Tokina 11-16mm is the limited zoom range. You pretty much require another 18-xyz zoom to compliment it, and you don't need f2.8 for landscape. Nikon's newer 10-24mm/f3.5-4.5 is the better choice now with a nice zoom range; I would get that over the older and more expensive 12-24mm/f4. The 12-24 costs more mainly because it is made in Japan where labor cost is higher.</p>

<p>Anton, It makes me ill to read about your loss. Nice photos in your gallery. </p>

<p>I was shooting the full moon the last couple of nights and my Nikon D300 & 70-200mm almost fell off my tripod. Apparently something is missing or broke in the mounting plate and it does not secure to lens very well now. Good luck with the new gear. I am not up on the latest equipment, so I cannot suggest anything, but I know the other members will steer you in the right direction.</p>

<p>thanks guys for commenting my portfolio :)<br>

about D7000 - I've almost decided to take but then I though similarly to <a href="../photodb/user?user_id=24372">Shun Cheung</a> - isnt it an overkill? I don't need huge fps and all that stuff, I just need big DR and 12+ mpx. That is why I'm uncertain again - it might be better to take something more simple from the new models - like d5000 or d3100...<br>

just checked here <a href="http://front1.dxomark.com/index.php/Camera-Sensor/Compare/Compare-sensors/(appareil1)/439%7C0/(appareil2)/680%7C0/(appareil3)/587%7C0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Nikon/(brand2)/Nikon/(brand3)/Nikon">http://front1.dxomark.com/index.php/Camera-Sensor/Compare/Compare-sensors/(appareil1)/439%7C0/(appareil2)/680%7C0/(appareil3)/587%7C0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Nikon/(brand2)/Nikon/(brand3)/Nikon</a><br>

looks like even for landscapes there's no other choice than D7000 due to dynamic range :)</p>

<p>the other lens I have are <br>

1) kit lens 18-135, which I wanted to swap for something, but I with all these spendings these plans are on hold.<br>

2) 105/2.8 micro<br>

3) 70-300 VR</p>

<p>John, that was exactly what happened - it fell from my tripod.</p>

<p>The D7000 has more pixels, so if you are planning to make large landscape prints, that is an advantage. Otherwise, I am sure the D90 will serve you well and it is similar to your previous D80 with a new sensor. Again, as we have discussed several times recently, 16MP on DX is more demanding on the lenses.</p>

<p>I don't think it is a good idea to go down to a D5000 or D3100. The viewfinder is better on the D90 and up. The high-quality back LCD on the D90, D7000 and up is helpful in many ways, and the AF motor on the D90 gives you the option to auto focus with the Tokina 11-16mm/f2.8 and more AF lenses. To me the AF motor is not a critical feature, but you might as well have it.</p>

<p>When you have a choice, I would rather spend more money on lenses. In particular, I would swap out that 18-135mm DX.</p>

<p>Anton, what caused it to fall off the tripod? Did they go completely under water? Looking at your pix I am guessing it was salt water:(<br>

My problems are usually my human errors:) I have the Manfrotto 322RC2 joystick head. http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/322rc2.html It is ok, but I have never been that satisfied with it because the quick release gives me fits. I sometimes wonder if I got a defective one. After my incident the other night and your terrible misfortune I am going to call them and ask about a few of the issues I have with it, plus see if I am missing a washer or something.</p>

<p>yes, it was salt water :(<br>

not completely under water, but around 70% of the body. don't remember where was the lens.<br>

<br /> this is the head<br /> <a href="http://bkcamerahouse.com.au/images/manfrotto_804_rc_2.jpg">http://bkcamerahouse.com.au/images/manfrotto_804_rc_2.jpg</a><br /> it was my mistake as well. I was extending legs without taking camera out of tripod. Maybe I gave bigger shake or it went loose or both at once</p>

<p>I'm confused....Taking camera out of tripod? Did you mean taking camera off of tripod? Just curious, since I always leave my camera on the tripod when adjusting legs. Don't tell me I am supposed to take camera off tripod when adjusting legs or I would be spending lots of time trying to fiddle with my not so quick- quick release plate lever:)</p>

<p>My quick release plate screw is now very difficult to screw into the camera and lock into place. Some small part must be be missing from the quick release plate assembly. I doubt it was your problem but just mentioning. If I had not noticed, then the camera and lens would of fallen off the tripod. I was still up in the dunes and had not moved to the water's edge yet. But I wrapped my camera strap around my hand during the shoot until I was sure that the camera was secure.</p>

<p><em>"I just need big DR " </em> According to the DXOMark site, at base ISO (100), the D7000's dynamic range is pretty much the same as the D3X, and along with the D3X, higher than any other Nikon DSLR body including FX bodies. Its ability to record color also appears to also be superior to to all other Nikon DSLR bodies (at base ISO).</p>

<p>Overall, the D7000 is by far Nikon's best camera (in just about every area you would evaluate a camera by) and value in DX bodies, and has many abilities (with regard to IQ) that until now were only available in much more expensive FX bodies. Invest your money wisely as you will likely have this new body a long time.</p>

<p>I had the same thing happen to my beloved D80..I went with the D90 and love it. For landscapes its perfect and you will love the live view mode as well as additional bells and whistles from D80. It is slightly smaller then the D80 but not as small as the d7000. Save yourself $500 and go with the D90 which is now selling for around $600 in some areas. </p>

<p>Mary, Sorry, but:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It is slightly smaller then the D80 but not as small as the d7000.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>it's not correct. D80 and D90 are the same size for all intents and purposes, and the D7000 slightly larger.<br>

Given the photos of the op, at the beach, the extra bit of weathersealing of the D7000 might come in handy too. But it won't help in accidents like this one, I guess.</p>

<p>I have help both (d90 and D7000) and it is hard to tell them apart size wise (I didn't even know there was a difference).<br>

According to the Nikon website, the D7000 is 132mm x 105mm x 77mm. They show the D90 to be 132mm x 103mm x 77mm. So it is indeed a whopping 2mm taller!</p>

<p> I guess when it comes to a new body you just look at your budget and buy accordingly. The Nikon line starts at a moderate price and increases in prices until only the very wealthy is able to purchase. I am sure you would be very happy with the D7000 if it fits your budget. It has the ISO 100 which is nice for landscape photos and it has an impressive dynamic range. I suppose it would be nice to at least buy into a body that will accept non motorized lenses such as the 50mm f1.8. Currently that would be the D90 (if still available) and up. On a side note I would have removed the body from the tripod when extending the legs or when stepping away from the tripod for any reason. I had a near accident years ago and started being much more careful in that regard.</p>