Retina IIIc - accessing or removing shutter

<p>I'm not having any luck finding detailed instructions for accessing the shutter mechanism on a Retina IIIc for cleaning, or completely removing the shutter assembly to thoroughly clean it. I have a IIIc with a shutter stuck half-open. I'm pretty sure that with a good cleaning of the Compur shutter, it'll work great. Trying to decide how difficult it will be to access it for cleaning. I have some experience and have been successful freeing up stuck shutters on some others, such as a Duo Six-20, but I don't know how much more difficult this Retina will be. Picked it up on ebay and need to decide right away if I want to tackle this project or return it. Any links to instructions, or any info is appreciated. Thanks.</p>

<p>There is a special wrench that is very useful for removing the locking ring on the rear of the shutter board. You can use a spanner but risk damaging the bellows.</p>

<p>The SynchroCompur is a fiddly shutter and very complex. It is best to have a proper repair manual before proceding with attempting to unjam the shutter.</p>

<p>Proceed cautiously.</p>

<p>I have two of these-the front element is removable by simply twisting out. This will allow you to put a judicious drop of lighter fluid on the aperture blades but not too much as you don't want it dripping into the back lens elements.Idea here is to see if the jammed blades are just stuck together by friction due to oil/grease on them. I would repeat this a few times, letting the blades dry off by sitting. If you are very lucky they will eventually close/open otherwise a professional clean is in order. Wouldn't try do it yourself on a Compur shutter.</p>

<p>These shutters have to be spotless as there are other considerations. If there is any resistance in cocking/film winding, the teeth on the cocking rack will be stripped and the rack is not easily replaced. The camera is repairable but needs a thorough clean and lube.</p>