Model Headshots

<p>Hi,<br>

I'm an amateur photographer looking to make some money with my camera. Recently, one of my friends<br>

has asked me to shoot the headshot of one of his friends whom he thinks could be a model.<br>

After doing some research and now, having some idea of what to do, aesthetically, my only queries now<br>

mainly concern pricing. For instance: I would like to charge the client for a CD of his images, on top of my<br>

shooting fee but, I was wondering if this is a good idea? If not, then what should I do instead? Also, if I do<br>

charge him and give him the CD do I still have any rights to the images as the photographer?<br>

Thank you,<br>

Loretta</p>

<p>It all depends: since you're actually looking to build your portfolio, most photographers (and, by extension, models) enter into a "time-for-shots" agreement, whereupon they offer you their time and likeness, in return for shots for their portfolio. That usually implies a licence to use those images for self-promotion, with the obligation to obtain a separate agreement should one or more images be used for, say, the promotion of a play or movie they're in.</p>

<p>If the model considers you to be an accomplished photographer, then you could possibly charge a sitting fee and then either give prints (and charge per print - but it would have to be a low charge, as they would want tons of those made, since they go through them like confetti) or give them digital files with sufficient resolution so they print them themselves. Again, the usage licence should stipulate exactly what you allow them to do with those photos and what not.</p>

<p>However, be careful as to what you charge. Even large® studio like ours rarely charge more than 150-250 for a full session with an aspiring (see: unknown) actor with the rights I mentioned above, and even I, have done headshots for actors friends of mine (quick and dirty, one or two light setups, finished in 10-15 mins) for a lot less, so...</p>

<p>I wish you all the best...</p>

<p>How does: </p>

<blockquote>

<p> looking to make some money ...my only queries now mainly concern pricing.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>equate to :</p>

<blockquote>

<p>since you're actually looking to build your portfolio..."time-for-shots" agreement</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br /><br>

<br /></p>

<p>Since you have no experience in this area, I suggest you do a straight "TFP/TFCD" (trade for print/trade for CD). However, if you can make money out of it, all the power to you.<br>

Headshots are not "nice portraits". For instance, lighting needs to be flat, which is not what most portraitists look for. You should (or have the future model) inquire first about the requirements of agencies in your area, since they differ from region to region. 3/4, 2/3 profiles? Formats: 8x10? 9x12?<br>

<strong>Always</strong> have a "model release" signed. As Mario wrote, keep the copyrights and eventually the licence agreements for the future. If the person becomes a famous model, they may come in handy!</p>

<p>I cannot imagine any reason for a model who hires <em>you</em> to create images for their promotion purposes to also give <em>you</em> a model release. That would be stupid. <br>

As for:</p>

<blockquote>

<p> keep the copyrights and eventually the licence agreements for the future. If the person becomes a famous model, they may come in handy!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's just sleazy. And licensing test shots to fashion models you test with is hilarious. Anyone who believes Ford or Click is going to license test shots for a finite timespan is delusional. 50% of all test shots will be rotated out of a model's port within 90 days never to be seen again -the 6 month goal being a 90% transition to tear sheets. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Headshots are not "nice portraits". For instance, lighting needs to be flat, </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Flat? Really? Horrible to even consider all of us who've had it wrong for, well, decades.</p>

<p><br /></p><div>00YFTX-333923584.jpg.7c57de67beb4401e53710fd8dd2056bc.jpg</div>

<p>I'm sorry, I tried to say thanks earlier but it didn't post so, I'll say it again: Thank you all very much! You've given me so much to think about, I really appreciate it.<br>

I still haven't met the client yet, (he's a friend of a friend), so I don't know if he's serious about being a model or if he's just testing the water. Because of this I think that I will do the shoot for a few minutes then call it a day. If he's more serious then I will ask him to bring a change of clothing.<br>

Also, If I do sell him his images do I still have any rights to it?</p>