Netherlands in July

david_huff1

<p>Colleagues - we will be visiting the Netherlands for eight days in July. We will be based in Amsterdam, but can venture far and wide each day. I think I have the obvious covered, but would love some input on any particular gems you know of. (For example, a friend suggested the abandoned WWII bunkers at Heerenduin.) All suggestions welcomed. Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>If you like old towns, you should consider visiting towns like Gouda, Dordrecht or Delft. It's like Amsterdam but smaller and cleaner. Rotterdam is on the other end of the scale, lots of new architecture, but quite enjoyable. In Rotterdam you can visit the Euromast which gives you a great view on the area (on clear days, that is). In Rotterdam you can also book a boattrip via Spido to visit the sea harbours.<br>

If you like nature, visit the Veluwe National Park or the Utrechtse Heuvelrug.<br>

These are just some of the interesting spots.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Remco is right although Rotterdam has also got some great museums amongst which the <a href="http://www.nederlandsfotomuseum.nl/content/view/233/206/lang,en/"><strong>Dutch Photo Museum</strong></a>.<br>

It would help if you could say where your interests lie. In general however one of the great things about the Netherlands is it's small size. You could take the train to Maastricht for instance, a trip that would take 2,5 hours by train, and think you where in another country alltoghether.</p>

<p>As for Amsterdam. <a href="http://www.amsterdamoldtown.nl/events/july-2011"><strong>Here's a usable link.</strong></a><br>

<a href="http://www.iamsterdam.com/en/visiting/visitingportal"><strong>and here's another</strong></a></p>

<p>Note that accommodation in Amsterdam is very expensive. It's cheaper to base yourself elsewhere.</p>

<p>I really like Delft and Haarlem. Zaandam near Amsterdam has pretty windmills. It's nice but touristy.</p>

<p>Kinderdijk is one of my favorite spots. Lots of windmills. It's in the delta near Dordrecht. There's a fast ferry from downtown Rotterdam that's scenic and will get you within 1 or 2 km.</p>

<p>I also like Giethoorn. You can rent little boats with an electric outboard motor and cruise the canals. This is harder to get to by public transport. You may need a car.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Should you be able to rent a car, drive out to the province of Friesland, in the northern part of our country. Places like Leeuwarden are beautiful, and Friesland is just stunning to drive around in. From Amsterdam it is a 90mins to 2 hrs drive and worth the trip.<br>

Gouda, Leiden, Giethoorn, and Kinderdijk are marvellous too. Perhaps take a trip the Cruquis Gemaal, to see how we keep our feet dry.<br>

I live in Rotterdam, and I would definately suggest a trip to Rotterdam too. It is 45min by train from Amsterdam and it a completely different city. Take the Spido Trip, walk along the river Maas, have your lunch at the terras of Hotel New York in the summer. The food is pretty ok for lunch, it's affordable, but the location is priceless. Stay a night in Hotel New York and feel how vibrant the city is.</p>

<p>If you need more detailed info, let me know.</p>