Changing with the seasons

karenf

<p>Unfortunately, it's summer where I am (I'd rather just have spring, autumn and winter, thanks). I've realised again this year, even though I have a strong preference for black and white images, I am much more inclined toward creating colour images in the hotter months. I am not sure if that is a response to the Australian light or if it is a matter of mindset. Has anyone else noticed a distinct photographic preference for different seasons?</p>

<p>Not really Karen I usually look at the picture in both colour and B&W before settling on the final outcome, sometimes this can be a very hard decision to make if there isn't an obvious choice and that I like qualities in both, then I do both ;)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Like many people, I always shoot digital in color. You can always convert to B&W, but it's a heck of a lot more work to go the other way. :)<br /> What l, like nearly every one else, like about digital color used to make B&W is that it gives you such incredible freedom to choose which channel, what 'filters' to use and so many other controls that you don't otherwise have. Having said that, I do like to shoot with B&W film, not least for the pleasure of imposing a kind of discipline on myself.<br /> No seasonal effect on me, other than the clothing I wear to shoot in.</p>

<p>I always think of what suits the image most too, Simon. It's just that even with a natural urge to make most images black and white, I seem to have developed a slight preference for colour version over the last month or so. I remember it happened last year too. It's unsettling and I'm hoping this problem subsides again in the coming weeks.</p>

<p>I don't have hard-and-fast rules about this, but in general I'm finding winter to be the time when I prefer making black and white photos as a final product. I'm in the north/central USA-- snow & gray sky, snow & gray sky, snow & gray sky... If one enjoys creating photos where the tonal spectrum is the desired outcome, winter in my area was made for black and white- 2/3 of the process is done for you! Spring through autumn have the color, so then I tend to allow the color spectrum to have its worthy place. Of course I say all of this in the realm of outdoor photography, which is mainly what I do.</p>