Nikon F5, F100 or F6?

vincent_adams

<p>Vit, the problem is that the F5 body is not the only camera gear you carry.</p>

<p>I bought my F5 in late 1997 and added an F100 in 2000. For several years the F5 was my main body but as far as I am concern, the F100 is almost an equal. Besides what Jose Angel points out, the F5 has a few more features:</p>

<ul>

<li>True mirror lock up</li>

<li>Interchangeable viewfinder</li>

<li>8 frames/sec</li>

<li>Color matrix metering</li>

</ul>

<p>From my point of view, none of them is critical. As soon as I got my F100, I tried them both on some very tricky lighting conditions, and they gave me the same meter reading.</p>

<p>Back then, having 8 frame/sec was a big advantage for shooting sports and wildlife. Today, few will waste film in such a manner. If you shoot action, digital is clearly the way to go.</p>

<p>In other words, if you main cameras are still DSLRs and you just want an additional film SLR, I would pick up an F100. I could accept the weight for the F5 when it was my main camera. For a secondary camera, I would rather have something lighter.</p>

<p>Concerning the F6, you pay a lot more money for a small gain. The F100, F5, and F6 share the same film sensor, and there is where the limitation is. All three of these black boxes around the film should be able to do a fine job.</p>

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I suppose if I had to choose between an F5, or an F100 I'd probably go with an F100. Mainly because I'm accustomed to my Nikons that have less than 100% viewfinders (like my N90s, FA, etc.). I found when I borrowed an F5, I had to constantly remember that the viewfinder shows me more than 100%. And while I could easily become accustomed to using a Nikon that sports a +100% viewfinder, all of my other gear has less than 100% finders.</p>

<p>I frame tighter when using my Nikons with the reduced finders, and I don't like the extra pause I have to naturally invoke when I use use a camera with a +100% finder. I love the F3, but the MD-4 is much more cumbersome than my MD-15 on my FA, and it is why I've stuck with Nikons that have less than 100% viewfinders.</p>

<p>Conversely thinking, I wonder if someone who has primarily Nikons with +100% finders would feel confined with the less than 100% viewfinder of the F100. Every shooter has different tastes, and there is a certain logic in having standards with one's equipment. Just as some users are comfortable using any finder.</p>

<p>The F5 is a little heavier than the F100, but I found the weight difference to be insignificant. I suspect that the F5 is much less in weight than an F2 with a Motordrive and battpack. And I found the F5's weight to be insignificant when compared to my N90s with MB-10, or my FA with MD-15. I found the F5 and the F100 to be equally comfortable to hold and use.</p>

<p>Mirror lock-up is a handy feature that I have only used when shooting at nighttime, and I found that my N90s (with MF-26) and its built-in timer function closed the mirror and started the countdown to the shutter release on long exposures. The end result, was the same as a mirror lock-up. I got the shot, that's all I cared about. I don't own any of those special Nikkors that require a mirror lock-up, and I doubt that I would invest in one of them that does. If I did pick up such a lens, well, there are plenty of Nikon F, F2, and etc cameras out there that could be acquired so that I could use the lens.</p>

<p>In reading the OP's comments, they appear to elude in their posts that they own, or are acquiring an F6. If that is the case, then the question I have is does the OP want a standard in their camera's finders? If so, then the choice would be the F5, if it does not matter then either the F5, or the F100 would work. The next big difference being about a couple of $100USD difference in cost. Trivial considering what these cameras sold for new.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I agree that the Nikon F5 is a very robust camera.<br>

The one thing I can never understand is why people seem to have the urge to drive nails with this camera ?<br>

To me it seems like a totally stupid thing to do. Hammers are much cheaper to buy, easy to borrow and get the job done a whole lot better. (Without the risk of damaging the camera)<br>

I would rather spend all day looking for a rock than drive nails with my F5.</p>

<p>For me it's the F5 all the way. It's buld is superior to the F100. The F5 checks the shutter at every firing to confirim it is working correctly.....to the best of my knowledge, the F100 does not. It is better balanced when using heavy lenses.</p>

<p>That's just my opinion....I love the way it feels in hand.</p>

<p>I use an F5, have handled an F6, do know the F100.</p>

<ol>

<li>the F5 is heavy, solid and very stable to handle heavy zoom lenses. You will be hauling around a lot of weight, 8 AA cells add to this. In general it fits well in the hands. Functionally it provides all you need and even more: the custom settings, for example. It has 5 focusing sensors, which seem enough, a powerful focusing motor and up to 9 fps, if you need it. You can select the metering area: spot, centre-weighted or matrix. As already mentioned, the finder covers 100% of the image and is interchangeable. It works very well, is sturdy and sealed: I used it in the desert and had no issues. If you shoot heavy zooms, it's a good choice. You can get it cheap: 300-400 Euro;</li>

<li>the F6 is lighter - the vertical grip is an optional - and sits very well in your hands. It has more focusing sensors, but I wonder if they are really necessary, more custom functions and some slightly improved ergonomics. It basically takes up all the functiosn of the F5 except the interchangeable viewfinder, which might not be really indispensable. There is a programmable button and the focusing options have commands rather than menu settings. I have seen that it costs at least three times the F5: at least 1200 Euro;</li>

<li>the F100 came after the F5 and has some slightly improved functions but a fixed finder and a plastic back.</li>

</ol>

<p>As Shun says, they all three do their job as they should, at a significantly different price.<br /> That said, I now shoot a Leica M6 and a Leica M7 now: the two bodies weight less that one F5 body.</p>

<p>ZZ: 'The F5 is a little heavier than the F100, but I found the weight difference to be insignificant.' Tipping-in at a difference of about 19 ounces, the 60% weight increase is rather significant (31 vs 50 oz, incl AA batteries). If wanting another body for grins and giggles, flip a coin. If planning on carrying the camera very much and not having a compelling reason for 8 fps, removeable prism or mirror lock, then the 100 is the ticket. Making the 100 user-friendly in the portrait position is easy with the MB-15 vertical grip. Making the 5 smaller...hmmm? I've used both. The 100 will be with me for many years.</p>

<p>Vincent, I also had the same dilema a few months ago, and I ended up by choosing the F100. (I was also able to find some extras, like the eyepiece cap, the rubber eycup and the Focusing Screen Type E, but not the connecting cord to connect to a computer and register the data). The F6 is too expensive, specially for a discontinued camera. The F5, although has some things I would like to have in my F100, like mirrow lock-up, is too big to walk around with it. Not just a question of weight, but is much bulkier (that's why I'l never buy the grip for the F100), and less discreet. I also have to carry the D700 (wich look very similar to the F100), and I can fit both in the same bag. Anyway, I agree with the majority. Each camera for each kind of needs.</p>

<blockquote>

<p ><a name="00YEYX"></a><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=1652793">Lilly W</a> <a href="../member-status-icons"></a>, Feb 16, 2011; 04:36 p.m.</p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>ZZ: 'The F5 is a little heavier than the F100, but I found the weight difference to be insignificant.' Tipping-in at a difference of about 19 ounces, the 60% weight increase is rather significant (31 vs 50 oz, incl AA batteries). If wanting another body for grins and giggles, flip a coin. If planning on carrying the camera very much and not having a compelling reason for 8 fps, removeable prism or mirror lock, then the 100 is the ticket. Making the 100 user-friendly in the portrait position is easy with the MB-15 vertical grip. Making the 5 smaller...hmmm? I've used both. The 100 will be with me for many years.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Lilly, you quoted the wrong guy. I was the guy that said that the F5 is a better backup because it's more reliable, and weight doesn't matter as much for backups. I know personally, my backup body never even leaves the car unless there's a problem.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Let it go Shun. Dave is impervious to mortal logic. He has a logic-proof jacket. Wears it when it snows in July.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Zack, do you have a problem? If you do, contact me privately. Comments like this will get you into trouble, so watch it, OK?<br>

Shun, I have the right to my opinions, whether you agree with them or not. You and I have to agree to disagree.</p>

<p>Thanks guys, the information you've given me is invaluable! I am going to try both, the price for the F5 and F100 right now is insignificant and they both look like excellent choices for different purposes. I am going to use the F5 as a back-up for my F6, and the F100 as a primary and my FM3A a back-up for it. The F6/5 will be used for rugged terrain, deserts, mountain climbing (I'm used to carrying heavy weight). The F100/FM3A will be for the city, portraits, light outdoors, etc. Once again, thanks for help, info, and good advice!<br>

-Dusty Boot</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The F6/5 will be used for rugged terrain, deserts, mountain climbing (I'm used to carrying heavy weight).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I sure hope that you are used to weight. Back in 1998 I went to the Antarctic and I had an F4 + F5 + 300mm/f2.8 + 80-200mm/f2.8 in my backpack. I was 13 years younger back then and I was very tired after a long hike.</p>

<p>Since then, I always carry at most 1 big body and 1 big lens hiking.</p>

<p>As far as weight is concerned, I climbed Kilimanjaro using the Umbwe Route carrying all of my own gear, with no porter. Yes I was dehydrated with altitude sickness by the time we made summit at sunrise, but it was worth it! At that time me and my partner were using Olympus cameras with fixed lenses, that was many years ago.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"The F6/5 will be used for rugged terrain, deserts, mountain climbing (I'm used to carrying heavy weight). The F100/FM3A will be for the city, portraits, light outdoors, etc. "</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Quite the opposite I did! :) <br>

I liked a FM2 + 45P for mountain trips. </p>

<p>Perhaps we do have a few Z's in the house. :-)</p>

<p>I suppose I should clarify that both the F5, and the F100 weigh far less than the concrete hammer drill and other tools I tote around in my other life. And a day of shooting a horse show with two N90s and assorted gear is a bit of a chore. But not too terrible. Everyone does different things with their cameras. I feel real empathy for the photogs that shot sporting events with an F2, Motordrive, big lenses, and a 250 - exposure back all day. That, I'm sure, was a real chore.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I did get called ZZ Top a lot in high school. Probably because of my full-length grey beard. I'm sure the initials were just a coincidence.</p>

<p>The other ZZ makes a good point. I've never found the F5 too heavy, but then again I rarely use big telephoto lenses outside of sporting events, and I'm a pretty experienced lugger. I'm not a big buff guy by any means, but for a long time my method of exercise was to load a backpack with waterbottles and walk around town. Plus I had been taking photos for probably 15 years before I owned something that wasn't heavy by today's standards.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Of the three, only the F6 is available new.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Both the F100 and F6 are available brand new, in the box, from B&H. I use the F100 and love it, but a F6 would be very nice, especially the iTTL flash capability.</p>