How I would like AUTO ISO implemented

sebastian_ochoa2

<p>Here is how I would like Auto ISO to be implemented:</p>

<p>Aperture Priority Mode : Just like the actual implementation by Nikon. I would add presets loaded upon lens identification (switches lowest speed allowed to a minimum speed (user definable) related to each lens mounted)</p>

<p>Speed Priority Mode: automatic ISO increase according to lenses maximal aperture: I set speed at 1/125 with my 12-24 f/4, the metering gives -2 (at camera set max aperture), so the ISO increase would be four-fold). Minimum aperture threshold for ISO compensation could be user definable.</p>

<p>New Manual Mode: Set aperture and speed and the camera will compensate its ISO for eventual underexposure.</p>

<p>Any comments?</p>

<p>Dieter,</p>

<p>If I understand Sebastian correctly, the difference is that you can preload your preferences per lens. I actually find that a very good suggestion. If I switch from a wide angle to a tele, I often forget to set the maximum shutter speed in the Auto ISO settings. Since I rarely use a tripod this can result in blurred shots.</p>

<p>I believe that shooting in manual mode with Auto ISO on accomplishes what you are suggesting as long as you set the shutter speed/aperture - there is obviously no automatic 'memory' you can set up to change the settings when you change lenses (except perhaps on the D7000 where you could use U1 and U2 to store data on 2 lenses).</p>

<p>I'd like to be able tell auto-ISO to maintain a minimum shutter speed of 1/focal length (as, I believe, the Canon auto-ISO system does), but with a "program shift" override to allow for being able to hold the lens more steady, different enlargements, VR, etc. (which I believe the Canon system doesn't allow). It doesn't matter so much for the primes I usually use, but it would stop me being at the high end of the ISO range unnecessarily for my zooms. I always thought program mode should also default to 1/focal length, for similar reasons - although it's so long since I used it I can't remember what it actually <i>does</i> do (I tend to combine aperture priority and auto-ISO most of the time). I'd also like an ISO button where I can reach it with my right hand (e.g. as one of the options for the Fn, DoF preview of AE Lock buttons), in which case I wouldn't care so much about the automation and I could shoot in manual all the time, but I'm still waiting for Nikon - and Canon - to get the idea that my left hand might be busy holding a lens.<br />

<br />

I emailed the shiftable length-dependent ISO request to Nikon a long time ago (possibly before auto-ISO got implemented at all...), but I'm not holding my breath. I did try to ask whether I could sign some NDAs and produce a new BIOS with all the features I want (I'm a software engineer), but oddly I've not heard anything. One of those things for which I envy Canon point-and-shoot photographers.</p>

<p>Dieter,<br /> there are differences in the speed priority and manual modes, grab your D300 and you will see. Try taking a photograph with speed priority at a speed lower that the one you set on auto iso and then look at the actual shutter speed used. In other words: it does not allow you to override the minimum speed from a metering mode that is intended for you to do that... you have to go through the menu. Same for manual mode. Nikon's Auto ISO is related to a minimum defined shutter speed, it should work the same war, but with aperture as a parameter, for the Speed priority mode. Also no data input from lens to the Auto ISO function as Arthur points out.</p>

<p>Arthur:</p>

<p>It does not work that way in manual mode, at least on my D300s which was sadly stolen last Sunday. Try using a shutter speed in manual mode which is lower to the one defined on the Auto ISO menu. In manual mode, the camera should disregard that setting and just compensate with higher ISO for eventual underexposure at certain situations. On each camera mode (Aperture, Speed, Manual) the Auto ISO function should have a different meaning. As it is right now, it is designed for AP mode.</p>

<p>Andrew,</p>

<p>I am glad to hear you had thought all that too and I agree completely. I have shot with some friends' Canons (DSLRs) and I have found the Auto ISO very confusing, but I admit never having read the Canon manuals. What you describe is exactly what I had thought, but I would go further and have a minimum defined aperture for the speed priority mode and a special manual mode as described above: auto ISO acquiring a different meaning for each shooting mode. I agree with you the actual implementation would be very simple for Nikon. In summary I think ISO settings should be a variable for exposure that should be more present on every shooting mode through an auto ISO function.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>New Manual Mode: Set aperture and speed and the camera will compensate its ISO for eventual underexposure.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>And likewise for overexposure, but you'd have to start at a higher base ISO than native...maybe not such a good thing. High-ISO really isn't a free lunch...although noise is a lot lower these days, you still lose dynamic range and tonality, and increase contrast.</p>

<p>Actually, I'd like to see Auto-ISO totally auto-defeated in manual mode <em>except</em> being selectable for auto-exposure bracketing. There have been times when I've wanted to hold aperture <em>and</em> shutter speed while using long exposures and a tripod, say when shooting waterfalls, but also be able to auto-bracket exposures to get a workable series of shots for exposure blending or HDRI, or just to let the camera run itself through a bracketing series to make double-sure I come away with something usable for post. Auto-ISO bracketing would solve that.</p>