Nikon 50mm f1.8 Purple spot

simon_hickie2

<p>I have a Nikon 50mm f1.8 AF (not the D version). On the D300 a purple spot appears from f8 onwards even in overcast conditions regardless of whether I use a hood or filter or not. I've seen references to this elsewhere on the site. The spot becomes stronger at f11 and again at f16. I understand this is as a result of light bouncing between the sensor and the rear element. My copy is also only really usable from around f2.8 due to blacks tending to appear purple. So basically I have a lens that only works between f2.8 and f5.6. My question is whether the 'D' version or the f1.4 version suffers less from either of these characteristics.</p>

<p>I have both the 50mm f/1.8D and 50mm AF-S f/1.4G. I don't have the diffraction issue on either lens. The f/1.8 is a great lens for the money, although to get the highest quality you're going to want to shoot at f/2.8-f/11</p>

<p>The AF-S is also a great lens, and it is on my D300 more often that the 1.8 just for it's larger size and better handling.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have the D version. While I have seen the spot you mention, It's not nearly as prevalent as yours seems to be. I can only remember seeing it once, and I've been using it on a D50 for over a year now. The one time I did see it, I wasn't using a lens hood because it was misplaced.</p>

I had the same issue on my 50 1.8D (on a D40 and D90). I have moved to the Nikon 1.4D and have not seen the same

issue (on a D90) - although I haven't tried to explicitly reproduce the problem. I would imagine that the newer G version

would not have the issue either, due to improved coatings to control the sensor back-scatter. If the all the blacks are

really purple (and this is not a monitor calibration or CA on the edges), then perhaps your lens has other issues - I have

found the 1.4D to be a great lens without much more weight or bulk than the 1.8, although it is a lot more expensive. I

use a rubber hood on the 1.4D which is convenient and reduces flare.

<p>Thanks to all for your replies. Sounds like my copy is a bit of a lemon. (It was in effect 'free' when I bought an F601 second hand several years ago). The front and rear elements are clear and I see no significant internal dust. Sharpness is fine around f5.6, so it could be a coatings problem.</p>

<p>I have the same issue and I called Nikon support. I have a D300s and I noticed the spot when shooting in studio with 3 alienbees and the blue spot appeared against black material. I panicked, thinking that there was an issue with the sensor. I switched the lens and the spot was gone.</p>

<p>Called Nikon and they suggested sending the lens in for repair. Thankfully, it is still under warranty. </p>

<p>I have the D version.</p>