Telephoto zoom for Panasonic G1

hstelljes

<p>I have the Pany G1 and while I like it I'm not in love with their 45-200 lens. I was wondering about the recently introduced 100-300 and if anybody out their has it and their true feelings about its performance. Also I'm open to other lenses that you think would work well with the G1. Thanks for your time.</p>

<p>It seems that I'm in similar situation. 100-300 is difficult to handhold even with MEGA O.I.S. turned on. Considering that I may want to use tripod more often with the lens, the lack of tripod colar seem to be a not-so-minor problem.</p>

<p>If you (I) don't necesarily need to reach 200mm and MEGA O.I.S. (mostly for shooting landscapes, for example), Olympus M Zuiko Digital ED 40-150 f4.0-5.6 could be as promising candidate. It is so light (only 190g) that the weight balance would not be too front-heavy if you support the combo at the body. Image quality seems to be better than Panny 45-200, judging from the comarison of image samples on the websites of both manufacturers.</p>

<p>The 100-300 is definitely better than the 45-200. The reality though is that neither can match up to my Nikon 70-200 2.8 or 300 f4. I would not expect them to match that performance though at a fraction of the price and weight. I find the 100-300 a great, almost take-anywhere, lens on my GH2. The image quality is fine for reasonable enlargement (largest I have done is 16x20, and probably would not go any larger).<br>

The lack of a tripod collar is not an issue. The lens is still very light, and mounting the camera body on the tripod head works fine.</p>