Nikon P500-NoRAW, No Manual Zoom Ring

thakurdalipsingh

• 1 month later...
<p>I wonder about that Thakurdilip. Afterall, have you compared both of them closely? Or did you just see that the Nikon does not save RAW files and does not have a manual zoom ring? I believe the Nikon shoots wider angle photos than the Fuji and zooms in more than the Fuji. The Nikon will zoom smoothly while shooting video too, something the Fuji does not do well (at least the HS10 did not). And the Nikon shoots with digital zoom enabled while shooting video too, so you get even more than 36x zoom capability. Does the Fuji do that? When you really get into the Nikon, you will see that it does things the Fuji does not do.<br /> - <br />Unfortunately, the Nikon's panoramas do not match the resolution of the panoramas from the Fuji, and the Fuji seems to have a better quality when shooting with the "pre-shooting" mode, because the Nikon only shoots at 1200x1600 in the "pre-shooting cache" mode (15 fps), and the Fuji captures 8 megapixel photos in its "Best Frame Capture Mode" (although they are only captured at 11 fps in the HS20). I like the Fuji flip-out screen too, because it does more than tilt vertically. The Nikon only tilts up or down, but not side-to-side. The Nikon screen is about twice the resolution of the Fuji screen though. Of course, there are other considerations. (How bright are they? What is the contrast? How good do the colors look? How much power does the screen use? Etc.) What about the viewfinders on each camera? What about the information overlays? Do both cameras give live histogram views both in the viewfinder and on the external flip-out screen? The Fuji costs more than the Nikon (25% more). Some would say that makes the Nikon better than the Fuji.<br /> -<br />It seems to me that the 1/2 inch 16 megapixel "back-lit" CMOS sensor in the Fuji is probably a better sensor than the 12 megapixel one in the Nikon, but because it is bigger, the Fuji camera has a bigger lens, even though it is only a 30x zoom rather than the 36x zoom of the Nikon. The Fuji is a bigger, heavier camera (635 grams vs. 494 grams - more than 20% heavier), and for many people that is a big no-no in a point-and-shoot camera. Remember that many photographers will be using this camera as a back-up for their DSLR (and of course as the camera that can do things that their DSLR can not do - this is my plan).<br /> -<br />One advantage of the Nikon is its "Interval Timer Shooting" mode, something the Sony A55 that I plan to buy does not do. I don't believe the Fuji has a mode like either that, does it? The Nikon also has a "fill flash" mode, which will surely allow for faster shooting with flash. Does the Fuji have that kind of control over the flash power level? The Sony A55 does not (from what I have seen so far). The Nikon D5000 that I owned for a while did. Nikon gives lots of control over the built-in flash on their cameras.<br /> -<br />Exactly what features do you feel make the Fuji HS20 better than the Nikon P500? If it's the Fuji HS10 you are refering to, you are comparing two cameras that are at different stages of life, and frankly, the Fuji HS10 does not give as many advantages, but it costs less, so you may be correct in your assessment (though it is still bigger and heavier than the Nikon - which is very important to some people). Unfortunately, there are very few new HS10 cameras still available, since it is discontinued (to make room for the new HS20, which costs about $150 more than the HS20, but has that better sensor and hopefully and improved zoom feature).</p>