Help please... 5D will not autofocus or shoot in AF mode

gregg_shipman

<p>...This is true of any lens I put on it.<br>

I've used my 5Dmkii for the last year with no problems. Models, sports, etc. you name it. <br>

<br />The other day, I'm grabbing my camera to take some pics of a blizzard and out of nowhere, with no previous problems, it has decided not to autofocus. At all. Ever.<br /><br />If I have my lens (any of my lenses) set to AF, the trigger button is dead. No focus. No pic. If I switch to manual, it'll take a pic but no red focus light or pleasant beep when I'm in focus.<br /><br />Have I somehow managed to turn something off or is it repair shop time? HELP and thank you in advance :)</p>

<p>It sounds like you my have got water into the camera - perhaps changing lens in the snow. Did the problem occur during the blizzard or when you got home. If it occurred when you got home it may be condensation inside the camera. I know my 5DII is fine in -25C weather and I have often used it down to -30 to-35C (it gets cold in the Canadian Rockies). If the temp was 25F (-3C) it is not due to the cold as my 5DII has survived temperatures well below this for weeks at a time. In high wind and snow conditions it is difficult to keep snow out of the body when changing lens so this may be the cause, otherwise it is probably condensation when you came into the warm. If you suspect it is condensation then you need to remove the battery and dry it out over time in rice or a bag containing silica gel packets.</p>

<p>Blizzards conditions are actually more difficult at temperatures close to freezing (e.g. 25F) than they are in real cold (e.g. -18F) as the snow and air is dry in extreme cold and does not melt. All of your results point to water damage - assuming the battery is good. As I say if you suspect water damage get the battery out and get it dry immediately.</p>

<cite>I pulled the main battery - the date/time battery is only a year old.</cite>

<p>Pull 'em both; otherwise, the camera doesn't fully reboot. Cleaning the contacts on the lens mount is also worth a shot. Given what else you've mentioned, I suspect neither one will fix it - but they're both quick and easy things to do so they're worth a shot.</p>

<p>The diagnostics consisted of walking me through the AF settings, asking for feedback of what was happening (or in my case, not happening), checking/cleaning the brass connection points on the lens and body, verifying none of the body brass connectors was stuck in a retracted position, resetting the body to factory specs and verifying that there were no other settings which were keeping the AF from engaging.<br>

In the end, he concluded it wasn't operator error or some easy to fix issue such as fouling of connectors.<br>

I bought it exactly 14 months ago. How long does a warranty last?</p>