Nikon D7000 vs Canon

dominic_nazeri

<p>Hi all, I'm new to the forums and is my first post, so looking forward to feedback.<br>

My dilemma is that I have owned a D60 towards 3 years now, and I'm looking for an upgrade.<br>

The D7000 caught my eye for a number of reasons - I am a keen photographer and often take photos everyday, processing or editing them is also an interest. At this precise time I'm actually looking for an HD camcorder, and I reckon you can kill two birds with one stone on this one.<br>

So you probably wondering what my dilemma is? Well for one, I know a thing or two about editing videos, and currently the D7000 is at 24fps at full HD, skimming online I have found various petitions and forums where people are pleading Nikon for a firmware update to increase this to 25 fps, 30fps, and 60fps at 700.<br>

Now this isn't a <em>huge</em> deal to me, after all larger fps's just means you can slow it down, make it readily avaliable professionally, etc. I would mainly be using it for serious recreational use, such as making short films, no messing about. <br>

Seeing Canon blaze the market with almost all their cameras having full HD video functions with a range of fps's, it makes me think Nikon simply are just catching up, things can only go up from the D7000's video capabilities anyway. <br>

The thought of changing over to Canon has touched my mind, but not just because of the increased video capability, but (and this may sound stupid so please forgive me) But on any programme I see, any mainstream photography, so many people <em>do own </em>a Canon. Are Canon's used in more mainstream media or is this just me? I'm not looking to offend anyone, trust me, I came to these forums for advice, and in addition, I bought my Nikon D60 for a <em>reason </em>over the 450D, simply because I <em>preferred it</em> in my hands. But I'm serious about a possible career in photography, and I know that many professionals own a Nikon, but is this more creative photography, as opposed to those ridiculously large grey Canon lens's you see at football matches?<br>

I own a Tamrom 10-24, a Nikon VR 18-55, and Nikon 55-200. My lens range isn't huge, but obviously moving over would mean replacing all these.<br>

My question is - I take my photography very seriously, and I try to be picky with what I buy, but absolute minute attention to detail isn't what I pay too much attention to - I like Nikon, I've had no problems, I enjoy the weight, feel, design and of course, the picture quality. Now from what I've heard and see the D7000 is a joy of a camera to use. And its a joy of a price tag as well. I want to make the right choice for myself, but I do want to take using the video very seriously. From what I have seen the video quality is astounding, those rich Nikon colours shining through. I would like to stay with Nikon, and after reading this huge rather disjointed message (sorry!), I look forward to hearing informed replies.</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>Dom</p>

<p>If you are serious about shooting video, buy a dedicated camcorder for video. Today's DSLRs are capable of capturing excellent video, but none of them is really designed for video capture and they are not convenient to use for that purpose. I like the capability to capture video occasionally and I sure don't want to carry another dedicated machine. Therefore, I like the video feature on DSLRs very much, but I am not serious about video.</p>

<p>None of the lenses you currently have is expensive. Therefore, the cost to switch brands is not high in your case. At that level the difference between brands is small, but you'll unlikely find something with the D7000's features at that same price from other brands. Canon has a very nice 7D but that will cost quite a bit more.</p>

<p>the 5dmkii and 7d are used more frequently with video producers than nikon gear. if you want to do video, the d7000 is nikon's most capable camera in that regard, but whether that will work better for you than a dedicated HD videocam or one of the Canons is not a question anyone but yourself can answer.</p>

<p>Fair responses, and yes it is true, I would like a good video option, but I did buy my DSLR for one thing, and that was for shooting pictures, not video. </p>

<p>The series 'House' is actually shot on the Canon 7D, it seems Canon are now adding more video features as opposed to concentrating on taking pictures. But fair points being taken here. I think in that respect, I'm simply debating as to whether to switch to Canon purely on the point that I seem to see more of them used professionally, which is yet to be commented on. </p>

<p>Thanks for responses</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm simply debating as to whether to switch to Canon purely on the point that I seem to see more of them used professionally, which is yet to be commented on.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Up to the point when Nikon introduced the D3 in August 2007, I think it is fair to say that Canon used to dominate the professional market, to a degree that perhaps 90% of pros used Canon, but the D3 plus some self-inflicted problems on Canon's part changed the picture rapidly. By the 2008 Beijing Olympics, roughly equal number of professional sports photographers use the two brands. (Some people actually took the trouble to count the number of Canon white lenses vs. Nikon black lenses in the press area, but then they got into further debate that some of those while lenses were actually Nikon gray lenses.)</p>

<p>In any case, what some other pros use should have little to do with you; in particular, you are not planning to buy a D3 or Canon 1Ds Mark III or 1D Mark IV. Pretty much every brand has 18-55 and 55-200 type lenses and their differences are small. If you are indeed serious about photography, I would focus on improving your technique. You can get equally good (or equally bad) pictures from any brand.</p>

<p>Oh right the 5D then, Sorry for the mistake. Chill dude, I'm only looking for advice, not proving a point. I don't even own a Canon, but yeah I shouldn't have said the wrong fact, it was unintentional. Doesn't that kinda underpin your last comment about how I'm on the wrong forum? Some pretty big steps being taken if one of the most popular series in America has a whole series filmed on a DLSR..</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Some pretty big steps being taken if one of the most popular series in America has a whole series filmed on a DLSR..</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Is the whole series being done with a DSLR, or was it just the one episode (season 6 finale)? Call me a cynic or call me a pragmatist...I gotta wonder how much Canon forked over for the privilege (and they sure reaped the mileage). I can't see any DSLR being better than gear that was already on hand for a hit production like 'House'. Given my druthers, I'd take a RED myself.</p>

<p>To me, it's kind of like companies paying to place their products in movies and on TV - started out years ago with liquor and cigarettes, then cars, and went on from there. It's more commonplace then most people realize, and people are susceptible to advertising, even when it's not served as such. Although Hershey said they didn't pay, remember what 'ET' did for Reese's Pieces?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>But on any programme I see, any mainstream photography, so many people <em>do own </em>a Canon.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well there you are. I think that's partly because of what I mentioned, partly because white really lenses stick out in a crowd, and partly because they make good gear (incidentally, so does Nikon). For me, it's also about how my radar's tuned...seems whenever I start thinking about getting a particular model of car, I seem to suddenly notice how many I see on the road...funny how I hadn't really noticed before that. Lots of folks shoot Canon, and lots of folks shoot Nikon. I think you gotta make your own best decision as to what'll serve you best and go with that. </p>

<p>It was a 5D and it was one episode. But anyway. Umm, yeah, the Canons shoot higher spec video files. Only you can say whether or how this is important to your work and whether it overrides your apparent preference for Nikon. But I wouldn't look at it from a "what the pros do" perspective.</p>

<p>Pro still image shooters have different requirements from amateurs. Depends on what type of shooting they do, of course, but large and robust bodies with an emphasis on speed and durability are important to many pros, and not important to many amateurs. An amateur is likely to value versatility and ease of use in different lighting situations and more portable size. So the D3100 and D7000 are great amateur cameras but the D3 really isn't, and the D3 is a great pro camera but the D7000 is more of a backup option and the D3100 isn't an option for most.</p>

<p>As to video, pros use the cameras in ways amateurs don't. If the House crew wants to shoot an episode with a DSLR, they encase them in large rigs that allow multiple people to control them at the same time and move and focus the camera at pre-decided cues. Again, it's not how people working alone shoot - if it's just you, a camcorder is likely to get you better results just because you can use all the controls.</p>

<p>I think if I were expecting to get serious about video I'd look into the Sony system because the A55 will shoot 1080 video at 60i or 30p and has microphone in and a decent AF during video shooting, and the lenses can go on a NEX camcorder with an adapter.</p>

<blockquote>

<p> But on any programme I see, any mainstream photography, so many people <em>do own </em>a Canon. Are Canon's used in more mainstream media or is this just me? </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Shun has already addressed this, but I'll add my two cents.</p>

<p>Canon dominated the sports world for a long time due to superior AF. Once Nikon introduced the D3, D700, and D300 the AF battle had swung over to Nikon's side. Currently you will likely see just as many Nikon pros at a football game as you will Canon. The difference? Canon shooters get big white lenses. Nikon USA doesn't market white lenses, although they are available overseas. </p>

<p>Additionally, look at who the "Official Camera" is and you will understand why you see more of that brand at different sporting events. The NFL is Canon...The Boston Red Sox are sponsored by NIKON...Panasonic was the Official Camera of the 2010 Winter Olympics, although it was the LUMIX line that was being pushed, not an SLR...the list goes on and on.</p>

<p>The reality is that all cameras are good...some are better at some things than others, but when it boils down to who is better than who it becomes a toss up...</p>

<p>Go out, handle the cameras you are looking into, and buy the one you think you will shoot with more often. After all, an uncomfortably handling camera is about as good as a camera on the shelf as far as I'm concerned.</p>

<p>RS</p>

<p>Virtually all DSLRs use live view to compose when shooting video. Holding the camera steady 8 inches away from your face is not easy. Most of the people shooting video with a DSLR are doing it because they want Hollywood style shallow depth of field. Do you really want that? Is there going to be any motion in your scene like sports? If you're not using a tripod it's much easier to keep everything in focus with a small sensor camcorder. </p>

<p>The reason that Hollywood studios can do it is because it takes 2-3 people to operate a camera. One of them is called the focus puller and their job is to know where the actors will be and if they are moving they mark spots on the focus knob for where to be at that time in the scene. You can buy this rig for $2500 that will convert a DSLR into a Hollywood style camera.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.redrockmicro.com/redrock_dslr.html">http://www.redrockmicro.com/redrock_dslr.html</a></p>

<p>Thanks for all your responses. It is down to personal preference really, and the constructive criticism about the video capabilities of such DLSR's. Can I ask another question however, If it is all down to preference, and that there's little difference between either Nikon or Canon, dosen't it make more sense to go for Canon - simply for the increased video features?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<blockquote>

<p>dosen't it make more sense to go for Canon - simply for the increased video features?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Dominic, there is only one person who can answer that question for you, and that is yourself. And I am not sure Canon's video features are indeed "better" than the D7000's. Older Nikon DSLRs that are limited by 720p and maximum 10-minute recording time such as the D90, D300S, and D3S are somewhat restricted.</p>

<p>Indeed Canons video features are much better, with levelled audio and 24, 25 and 30fps at Full HD recording, but yes, you are right, it is down to me to choose, and this is a point that often makes me stop in my tracks and think about which I may prefer. I'm extremely happy with Nikon, it just seems all my photography buddies and other people I see in mainstream media all seem to own Canons, you'l have to forgive me, as all I'm doing is observing and taking in what I see. Of course, seeing as I don't personally know a single person who actually owns a Nikon, I would think it strange that everyone else owns a Canon.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>levelled audio and 24, 25 and 30fps at Full HD recording</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Dominic, my point is that I don't consider those options "much better features." And regardless of whether it is Canon, Sony, or Nikon, DSLR are still not good videocameras.</p>

<p>And I have already explained to you that "mainstream media all seem to own Canons" is no longer true today, although it was definitely the case from the early 1990's to 2007. Prior to 1990, Nikon totally dominated the pro market.</p>

<p>In other words, IMO you are on the wrong track when you keep focusing on those unimportant factors. What is important is which camera system fits you better. And if you have a lot of friends that use a particular brand so that there are opportunities to interchange lenses and accessories, it makes a lot of sense to buy into the same brand. But that is a two-way street: while you can borrow someone else's lenses, be prepared that they will borrow yours.</p>

<p>I puchase the tool that does the best job for me. I fly radio control planes and use a transmitter that no one else at my club of 100+ uses, it does what I need very well at a price I can live with. Sometimes it is good to purchase the same as associates have so you can get help if needed. This is less important with forums available. If you want great video then you should probably get a dicated video camera. I am only interested in stills currently and have what I judge to be a high value setup for my needs. Be very careful about decisions based on marketing alone.</p>

<p>If you want true high quality video, then you need a high quality VIDEO CAMERA. It's just a personal opinion, your mileage may vary, but for me video on a still camera is little more than a <em><strong>gimmick. </strong></em>One of the things I like most about my D700 is that it does not have video. Less cost for something I would never use.</p>