Is there any difference (i.e. technical, operational, ergonomics,

etc.) between the universal L-shaped quick-release camera plates

offered by RRS (B16L) and Kirk (BL-2)? I am wondering why the RRS

version is substantially more expensive at USD$175 than the Kirk�s

version at USD$109.

Any other insights on the usage of L-brackets on 35mm SLR's (atop an

Arca B1) in the field are welcome.

Ed,

I cannot speak to the L-brackets by Kirk, however I have RRS L plates on my F5 and F100 and am very pleased with both. If you use small focal length lenses [without tripod mounts] in vertical format, then the L plates are handy as they keep your camera/lens directly over your B1, which I also use. Something which I have found on a couple of occassions, is that L plates also give some additional protection to your camera. I have dropped my F5 twice and each time it landed on the L plate and caused no damage whatsoever. Which ever you choose, I can reccommend L plates without reservation.

Bill

Bill, thanks for that comment on the extra protection. Never thought of that.

Craig, you�re right. It�s the B16 (not B16L).

When I said �universal�, I meant the type made by both RRS and Kirk that fits most SLR bodies. This is opposed to the L-brackets they customize for, say, a F5, F100, EOS 1D, etc. My cameras are an F4 and FM2 which both RRS and Kirk have no custom L-brackets for. So basically I�m trying to compare RRS�s B16 against Kirk�s Big L (BL-2) bracket. The price difference is glaring. Will I lose anything by getting the cheaper Kirk?

I have the RRS B16, and have only seen pictures of the Kirk. The big functional difference is that the RRS includes a quick-release clamp for arca-style plates, so you can easily take it on and off. The Kirk attaches with a screw to either your existing plate or the camera. So if you plan to leave it on all the time, the Kirk would work. I take mine on and off alot for weight/size management. The RRS is also milled out of a solid block, where the Kirk is two pieces of bar stock screwed together, so the RRS is probably more stiff.

My problem with the dedicated L plates for individual bodies is that you need to buy one for each body. For one thing that is expensive, and it adds to the weight on each body. I think I'll need this only once is in a while, so one "universal" L plate that works on all bodies seems to make sense. I know that the B16 is thick and kind of heavy as well.

In my case while the B16 can work with my 35mm bodies, I also have a Contax 645 body. Unlike the 35mm QR plates whose grooves are parallel to the long side of the camera, the QR plate for 645 cameras have grooves that are parallel to the lens axis. Therefore, if I mount the 645 on the long side of the B16 for vertical shots, the camera will point towards the sky instead towards the front. That is not a very useful orientation, unfortunately. :-(

This is a tad off-topic but anyway...

Regarding the Kirk vs. RRS custom L brackets for the Nikon F100, I highly recommend the RRS over the Kirk. The Kirk has a triangular shaped brace that partially covers the left front side of the camera, and in my opinion, gets in the way of the manual/autofocus control button if you're clumsy like me. I sold my Kirk and replaced it with the RRS, which does not have the front brace....MUCH BETTER, and lighter too! Although an argument could be made that the Kirk is stronger, it should make no difference unless you mount your camera inside a hydraulic compactor instead of a tripod.

Either way these are two fine companies. I love my Kirk BH-3 ball head. RRS is now much easier to deal with since they have recently begun accepting phone orders and reading their email. They are even planning to (GASP!) take orders from their web site.