Polaroid Fold up

marco_de_biasi

<p>My girlfriend got charmed by vintage Polaroid and she particularly likes the fold up model.<br>

I don't know anything about these old cameras. Supposing I can find one that works fine, I'm wondering if I can find the other stuff needed to have the camera working properly and by the way I don't know what the camera needs. I guess the old Polaroid film and something to have the photo printed out.<br>

Anyone here can steer me in the right direction? What do I need to have the camera working? Is the material needed still available today and affordable?</p>

<p>Thanks for any help / info!!</p>

<p>Marco, you'll have to post an image of the camera. Polaroid made dozens of folding type cameras going back long before the SX-70. Edwin Land developed Polaroid films in the late 1940's. Some early ones took roll film which is no longer available and others use peel apart pack film which can still be found. Self-developing pack films such as used in the SX-70 did not arrive till the early 1970's. Post or link to a photo to get more specific help.</p>

<p>There are a number of old Polaroid cameras that folded, you need to know the model number to be sure which film to use. Most more recent polaroids were for "Instant Print" ie. there was no negative, a finished print came out from the camera. The print pack also contained the battery for these. Other cameras had a peel apart print where you wait for 60 secs then peel a layer off to reveal the print and some also gave a negative as well as a print but only, I think, in black and white. If it is an SX70 you can still get Polaroid Push film on the internet although I think Polaroid themselves stopped production some years ago. Best bet is to see if you can find a camera that works but check if you can get film before you buy it. Polaroids are actually very limited as without scanning you only have one, relatively small, print size of average quality. The film is also very expensive at about $1.50+ per shot!</p>

<p>Ops! you're right, sorry I completely forgot to describe the Polaroid she was looking for!<br>

Actually she found two Polaroid, the SX-70 and the Polaroid 80B.<br>

The SX-70: http://www.etsy.com/listing/55039284/rare-polaroid-sx-70-fold-up-land-camera<br>

and the 80B: http://www.etsy.com/listing/40938966/vintage-50s-polaroid-land-camera-model</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>Marco,<br>

Again I would reiterate, these are expensive to run and very limited in use. You could find these at carboot sales in the UK for pennies! I don't know where you are based but the same would probably apply. They are getting harder to find simply because most people have just thrown them away, FOR A REASON. lol. In this case, for "rare" and"vintage" read obsolete! Nice to have as a talking point but don't spend or expect a lot.</p>

The 80B used the old roll film no longer made by Polaroid or anyone else as far as I know. Some people convert them to use 120 film. According to McKeown's Price Guide,the value of the camera is $1 - $10. (Read that as $0.75 at a yard sale.)

The battery for the SX-70 was built in with the film pack. It didn't have a separate battery to check it out.

James G. Dainis

<p>I understand the appeal of an SX-70, but the price, limited availability, and experimental nature of the Impossible Project Film is a major issue. If you want a great folding instant camera that just works (and very well), check out the packfilm models that use peel-apart instant film. I would suggest a Polaroid 250 (you might need to modify the battery, but it's easy). Fuji still makes instant packfilms in BW and color. <a href="http://www.rwhirled.com/landlist/landhome.htm">Check here for your polaroid camera info.</a></p>