D700 new with CHA/CHR problem

lisa_f

<p>I've done all sorts of research online and can't tell if I dare update the firmware to 1.02 as this is from nearly a year ago. Plus if I upgrade to the new firmware, then what happens to the camera recognition in LR3? And maybe there is a newer version I haven't found yet???</p>

<p>Or do I simply need a faster CF card (using Sandisk Extreme).</p>

<p>I have NOT gotten one actuation yet and I'm very frustrated because this is supposed to be fun and exciting.</p>

<p>(Card format process seems to work fine.)</p>

<p>Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>Lisa - </p>

<p>Hopefully you bought it from a reputable dealer - if so - then box it back up and return it to them right away. If you bought on-line from Adorama, Amazon or B and H, etc... Call to find out what their return policy is - then follow it and return it. </p>

<p>I purchased my D700 last August as a Factory Refurb - from a local dealer's annual tent sale - Big signs up all over - no returns / no exchanges. Got home and I had the same issue and I can imagine the same feeling as you. Checked the firmware - it was 1.02 - up to date and supposedly fixed that issue. Tried a different card, new battery - fresh out of the charger and the same thing happened - card formatted fine - but then would throw the CHA/CHR error. </p>

<p>Got in the car, went back to the store - and explained what was going on to the sales person - he tried 2 batteries and 2 different CF cards - same results. Went out the tent and came back with a new body - tried it and it worked fine. I got the new body - and the bad one went back to Nikon. </p>

<p>If you bought it 2nd hand or from an un-authorized dealer - then your best bet is to call Nikon service and see what they will charge to fix it / look at it. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Yes. Thanks Dave. B&H. I planned on calling tomorrow if I couldn't resolve tonight. I also found a list of the approved cards on the Nikon support page and the regular old Extreme Sandisk is not on it, which is frustrating too because I used a local retailer gift card to get the CF card and specifically double checked that the card would work in a D700. I'll probably take the card to the store tomorrow and see if it works in their D700 floor model...couldn't hurt anyway.</p>

<p>By no means you need to use a Nikon-approved CF card on your D700. Nikon has only tested a small set of CF cards and new ones have been introduced since the debut of the D700. I use all sorts of CF cards on my D700 and I have yet to run into one that is not compatible.</p>

<p>You might have just run into one bad CF card. If so, get that exchanged.</p>

<p>I am confused too. If you just bought a new D700, it should have the latest firmware on it already. And it should have warranty in case the store won't take care of you. The firmware version and camera recognition in LR3 have nothing to do with each other and should not be a problem for you.</p>

<p>Check to see if any of the pins are bent in the memory card slot.</p>

<p>Thanks for everyone's replies. I didn't know if updating the firmware would negate some stipulation with B&H so I was nervous to do it and wrongly thinking they all shipped with the original firmware. It does have 1.02 so that's not the issue. I checked the pins too and they seem to be all nice and neat and straight. I'll be checking the card with the retailer that sold it and then go from there. It's just really no fun when you drop a LOT of money on something sweet and it really isn't.</p>

• 10 months later...

<p>I have the same problems now. Never had with both d200 or d700. But now I had a cha problem with my d700. Then I tried the same card in my d200 and suddenly I have there also a CHA problem. I was in the middle of a shoot so there was some panic :-( but then I realized that I could go further with tethered shooting and that saved the day.<br>

Afterwards I examined the cf-cards I've used and discovered all cards were damaged in de middle of the female side of the cards. I then went to look in de cf-card-holder on the camera and saw the one pin was screwed up. And that caused the CHA-problem. With a small screwdriver I could manage to straighten the one pin and the problem was over ! In the d700 one pin was completely lost in the foot of the holder so this one could not be saved and I have to go to the Nikon repairservice. I've must have been to fast switching the card from my computer reader and that caused all the problems. The cf-card was damaged and damaged all the card holders in de d700 as well of the d200. Next time I will be more careful... And you should be to ;-)<br>

Robert</p>