Travelling by Prescription

warren_wilson

<p>OK: Really I am curious how off the mark I am with this.</p>

<p>In recent years, as I travel for pleasure (and the rather keen pleasure of photography), I have been planning my shooting along themes and prescriptions.</p>

<p>For instance, I am headed to Malaysia next week. I have been strobing flickr to find where locals are finding images and have combined that with my own thoughts to come up with a few themes, like "Islamic Beauty: woman and mosque interiors and exteriors." </p>

<p>More specifically, I've come up with prescriptions: like low-light bridge photography, environmental portraits of patriarchs and matriarchs. Another is to work to incorporate what I'm calling "atmospherics:" smoke and fog.</p>

<p>While the list goes on, it's not meant to limit my photography, but to keep me looking for images that I would not normally find -- and it was developed based on my normal limitations.</p>

<p>Does anyone else do this, or should I consider saving up for some counselling?</p>

<p>I think all travel photographers do that to an extend. Personally I research each place that I will be going to extensively - distances, monuments and their orientation, customs, local events and their timings, vantage points, experiences from previous travellers etc. Sometimes I even go so far as to time even my seemingly random walks across a place to get me to places when the light is (supposed to be the) best and, of course, I usually get to a place for a specific event WAY before the event to check things out and pick my prefered spot.</p>

<p>But that's all preparation. Your approach goes much further and I'd like to share an experience I had with you: a few years ago I travelled to Egypt and, among the assignments I had, there was one that required pretty much what you're doing, a preconceptualised idea, namely the lives of a specific section of the Egyptian society under a specific light. It even had a title. Now, the idea was not bad in theory, but it proved bad in terms of execution. Obviously the editor had not thought about the project carefuly, had not made any contacts with people in Egypt to identify and open the necessary channels of communication - in other words, that part of the assignment ended up very, very poor because it proved impossible, within the few short days that I was there to develop the trust relationships that would have enabled me to do what they had in mind.</p>

<p>What I'm trying to say is this: going there prepared is one thing. Having done research is essential to getting good images. But going there with pre-prepared recipies, grouped under specific titles may end up hurting you more than helping you. You may inadvertedly find yourself focusing on getting a shot which falls under your various groups and miss wonderful opportunities. Countries like Malaysia and Thailand should not be categorised in terms of the shots you can derive from them, especially the first time you're going there. You need to let yourself go and experience the place more than hunt specific imagery down.</p>

<p>Oh, and something else: muslims there may be slightly less strict than in Arabic countries, but be VERY careful in shooting women and children during religious activities - things have been known to get ugly if the wrong person sees you or takes offence.</p>

<p>Thanks for your response, Mario. Sounds like you've had some interesting travels.</p>

<p>This is actually my 9th trip to SE Asia, and having spent time as well in Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Indonesia I have some (admittedly limited) understanding of various Islamic cultures.</p>

<p>As a general thing I don't take "street photography" type pics, but try to engage the subject first -- create some comfort between us: normally the issue is language, but I've always been comforted by the degree to which folks indulge my stumbling attempts at communication in their tongue. </p>

<p>In fact, one of my intents is to create images of that rather vibrant culture to work counter to the stereotypes of the raging Mullah we tend to encounter these days. You make an excellent point about not blinkering ourselves with intent. And I appreciate you NOT recommending counselling!</p>