Anyone know about the Savannah College of Art and Design?

alex_hummel

<p>I am a senior in high school and plan on perusing photography or photojournalism in college. Everything that i have read about SCAD has been good, but i was wondering if there is anyone out there who has been to it and if they have any insightful advice. <br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>My cousin graduated from SCAD (more art than photography however) and loved it. Though she currently makes use of that degree by waiting tables. It's a lot of cash, but people seem to love the experience. Will it help you find a career in photojournalism or photography? I don't know. It's hard to say that any college degree can do that for you. But on the other hand, the opportunities that I found for myself while in college are what started me on the path to putting food on my table with photography.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>SCAD is very good at marketing themselves. I've visited and had a professor that attended but he and a friend of his got kicked out during their junior year for questioning what their "activity fees" were spent on when there weren't any activities. Very nice campus, but humid as all get out in the summer. Some of their programs seem better than others - the historic preservation seems to be especially good but as far as photography goes, I think there are better schools. Besides, it's pretty d@#$ expensive. Do you really want $100k in student loans after you graduate with a degree that won't make you nearly that much a year?</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>I attended SCAD from 1987-1990. Dropped out my Senior year. I then went back to the college and worked for them 10 years later, running their Photography Department finishing and retail lab (PhotoWorks). I learned more about photography working in photo labs and as a freelancer then I did at that college. I did enjoy it. Maybe a little to much. I think it is too expensive and not challenging enough. Not to mention that if you plan on attending other institutions the credits are not worth much. The Southeast Center for Photographic Technology at Daytona College, FL is much better bang for your buck. Work on a business or marketing degree at a two year college and find a job in the industry. One of the most respected professors there, Craig Stevens (-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Stevens_%28photographer%29) told me in his first lecture for Documentary Photography (paraphrased) "Spend the 100k that you would have spent on an education instead on film and processing and you will be a better photographer in four years"</p>