How big for a studio space ?

mart_e

<p>I'm desiging a studio space for a colleague that will initially be used as a computer suite but will eventually be formed into a photographic studio. This is an extension / stand alone addition to a house.</p>

<p>At present she does predominantly small product (crystals, jewellery, food) photography, but is looking to future-proof this space - mainly for portraiture, but also for larger products (relatively, we're not talking cars here - possibly textiles and items that can be brought in through the door). She's not sure on the size that she will need - particularly in height - to allow for lighting etc.</p>

<p>I've done no portrait photography at all (other than the usual family and friends), and have only done small products myself.</p>

<p>Any ideas on the size and height of space would be appreciated.</p>

<p>As for facilities, the site is limited so we are talking probably a space of about 3-4m x 6-7m and the inlcusion of a small cloakroom (wc and changing area) as well as a small kitchen. The access door will be double door sized (opening size of about 1.8m wide x 2.1m high).</p>

<p>Any other considerations ?</p>

<p>Many thanks</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Any other considerations ?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Electrical power. In the U.S., at 110~120 volts, many single residency houses have 100 amp service, but newer ones typically have 200 amp service. For the studio you are designing, a minimum of two 20 amp lines would help set the stage for future needs. If your friend's house has 100 amp service, the rest of the house might get short-changed. She might have to upgrade to 200 amp service for the house, an expensive step.<br /> <br /> (Disclosure -- I'm an amateur photographer, and don't have a studio in our house, but I have visited the pro studios of friends. All use gobs of electrical power.)</p>

<p>Thanks for the comments.</p>

<p>4m might be a stretch given planning restrictions that are likely to apply, 3.5m should be workable - at least centrally (eaves may need to be lower).</p>

<p>Hector, we have an electrical consultant sizing the appropriate consumer unit / utility supplies - an upgrade will almost certainly be required.</p>

<p>Would anyone be up for commenting on a plan / sections if I upload it ? - probably won't be until next week though.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>I'd be more than happy to comment on a plan when you upload it, but I would like to point out a few things for you:</p>

<p>1. You realise that the best (geometry-wise) lens to portraiture is the 85mm (on a FF camera) and that at that focal length, to include anything more than the head and shoulders you would need distance. For an averages-sized human, we're talking around 6m, meaning that anything closer would need a wider lens and the distortions this would create (which your friend would then need to fix in post). So bear that in mind when designing the main background wall.</p>

<p>2. You can possibly get away with 3m height IF you construct some sort of curved corner between the background wall and the ceiling (to eliminate the sense of "restriction" you'd get when shooting anything that would include height. However, that seamless construct would need to be very carefully and solidly constructed. It can be done (we used to have that in the previous studio which was 3,2m high), but you need to be careful.</p>

<p>3. What you will have problems with is lights. At 3m it's very hard to effectively hang (or support) a hair light or two at a sufficient height to enable proper portrait photography. However you could possibly get away IF you set up a ceiling-suspended system from where to hang lights. That could help somehow.</p>

<p>4. Raising the roof in the middle is useless. See if you can raise it at the background end, thereby making it a slanted roof, creating the extra height while keeping the same overall length.</p>

<p>5. I would not make the changing room a fixed area, but rather a curtain-based affair. This allows more flexibility and does not decrease the space unnecessarily...</p>

<p>6. Is the kitchen necessary? Apart from a frige, a microwave (which can be resting on top of the frige) and a coffee machine (which can rest on top of the microwave), why do you need a whole kitchen?</p>

<p>7. Make sure you incorporate tons of clever storage spaces and solutions (maybe a kind of second storey on the opposite end of the background area) - you will need tons of storage more than a kitchen... Storage solutions should include clever ideas for hanging and storing stands and backgrounds, pockets for lights and accessories as well as several smaller items (such as tape, clamps, etc, etc).</p>

<p>8. Make sure there's some water supply somewhere, maybe a smallish sink or something like that (maybe even outside rather than inside).</p>

<p>9. Think VERY carefully about materials and colours. If the place is to be used as a photo studio, make sure external light can be completely dimmed out and that there are no colour-casts in reflected light (say from red coloured walls or something). Also, make sure there are no highly reflective surfaces which can generate unexpected/unwanted highlights.</p>

<p>Oh, I could go on and on, but I think that's the basics...</p>

<p>I would say that a 30x30 room is the minimum for a productive product studio. When you buy a house, you have to imagine how it will look once you get all that furniture in place. Suddenly that spacious room starts looking like an economy suite at the road-side crash and burn. All those tables, light stands, softboxes, modifiers, and a workstation adds up. Not mention staging and gear storage. Now factor in a small party of clients whom also attend the shoot, and they want a place to sit and work on their laptop, etc... Could you make something smaller work? I guess if you had too. But would you want to work in it?</p>

<p>Forget the garage Martha! We're building a barn!</p>

<div>00YBjQ-330443584.jpg.01eeb453d2cf26152bb604c80ff48f93.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks Marios, some very useful info there.</p>

<p>I'm used to designing (I'm an architect), I think she is going to have to be imaginative in the way she uses the space, the site / planning restrictions will be what limits the space/size, and there will be little room for maneouvre.</p>

<p>The kitchen area was only going to be a sink unit and worktop / fridge for tea/coffee (most definitely not a separate room - possibly with a set of double doors to make it more of a cupboard-kitchen). The WC/Cloak room will need to be a separate space (and lobbied from the main studio space) - the lobby could act as a changing area though (unless I place if off an entrance lobby instead).</p>

<p>6m is probably about the longest length I will be able to achieve internally, although I will maximise the height as far as I can.</p>

<p>She wants some rooflights in (probably on one side only because of planning restrictions again) - no problem getting black out blinds on those - particularly as they face South West and would allow direct sunlight in.</p>

<p>She also wants 'patio doors' on one side. This could provide quite a useful daylight side source - but again would need black out facility.</p>

<p>I'm going to try and fit a mezzanine level at one end for both storage and possible access to lighting - and to allow a higher vantage point.</p>

<p>Sorry Pete - hadn't updated the thread before posting previous reply - so hadn't seen yours.</p>

<p>This is most definitely a 'make the best of what you're going to get' rather than an ideal studio space. We are talking minimums in almost every respect (and probably not even achieving those).</p>

<p>Part of the brief is also that this space should not be too restrictive for re-sale value (ie the space still needs to be a potential useful part of the house (kitchen / dining space).</p>

<p>I've already suggested to her that she rent a photographic studio space somewhere else rather than throw money at this, but for a number of reasons she wants the extension (not least the fact that it's a good cheap time to build).</p>