Cemetery shot, holiday card?

marke_gilbert

So many coments about cemetery shooting lately, I thought I would

post this as my first. Stumbled upon it this weekend, too good to

resist. Sorry for the dark scan, the original is lighter- trying to

get used to the digital stuff.

<P>shot with M6TTL, 35mm summicron, Velvia--1/2 second at f11.

Tripod, and Metz 54-MZ3 set at -1 2/3.<div>003vV7-9942784.jpg.586eae1360e4cedb840b6adf7916133a.jpg</div>

Good picture, wrong sentiment. "Seasons Greetings" are supposed to provide upliftment to the recipient. While it might be appropriate for another venue, from a holiday perspective, it is mistitled. Also, it dishonors a sentient being, a definite no no.

Thanks for the responses-- the title is actually tongue in cheek, I dont know that I would really title it that.

<P>Guy--

<P>The story is that I was down in that cemetery in Detroit saturday morning, with just an M body and a 50mm summicron. I came across this crow, just as it appears in the shot.

<P>It just totally struck me.

<P>There was no way, as this was in deep shadow I could handhold, shooting from 1-1.5 meters, at the required f5.6 for the DOF I needed.

So, I drove the 30+ miles back home, grabbed my tripod, flash, 35mm, and 12mm, and headed back down.

<P>I was hoping that it would translate from what I saw into somthing I might enlarge, so I was thinking "take no chances" about sharpness--even grabbed a cable release.

<P>I chose the velvia or the bit of color that was in the granite, hoping it would come out much as it did. The scan doesnt show near the sharpness and detail of the slide.

"Upon the mound of ash and broken glass

a flower blooms as if it did not know."

Last line of the play J.B., based on the book of JOB. One of the most realistic yet uplifting lines in literature. The first official postage stamp issued in Bangladesh after its horrible war of independence was the picture of a fractured skull with a flower growing up through it in full bloom. Hope is not necessary when the bird flies high and the stock market soars, only when they crash. And so on and so forth. . . meaning as well a beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What a nice touch for the crow to crash at that spot. And you captured it on film for all time.

Marke, I'm disappointed, from the title of the thread I thought you were actually intending to send this card for the December holidays. It's the kind of thing I always want to do, and then chicken out, figuring something else would be better received. I'd admire you if you did send it out, and if I got something like it in my mailbox I'd appreciate the sense of humor and the meanings it implies. That's just me, probably not mainstream, I guess more likely an existential point of view, even though I love the holiday season like anyone else.

Hey Marke, so you're a fellow Detroiter?

And one with a slightly twisted sense of humor at that.

Excellent !

This Sat. (26th) the coolest event in the area will be taking place.

Have you heard of, or been to, Theatre' Bizarre ?

Contact me off line and I'll tell you all about it. It should not be missed.

Especially by someone who would post a shot like yours.

Seasons greetings, Marc Williams in Franklin<div>003vfb-9952584.jpg.675b474880d5eb9fba7191a97eef2668.jpg</div>