Minolta MD 50mm f2 lens test.

<p>Hi everybody,<br /> Usually by the end of the roll I'm deciding to shoot some quick lens test.<br /> Nothing scientific; camera is attached to a tripod and shutter is released by the self-timer. Then I'm shooting series of pictures with different apertures. Hopefully this simple lens test will give You an idea how it perform at different apertures. Low resolution scans, frame is 1840x1232.<br /> <strong> Camera was attached to a tripod. Shutter is released by the self-timer. Lens was set at Infinity. </strong><br /> <strong>No filter, no lens hood. Camera used: Minolta XG-1. Film used: Fuji Reala. Weather: Bad.</strong><br /> <strong> Conclusion:</strong><br /> <strong> Not great wide open, much better at F2.8. Excellent from f4 to f16. I didn't try f22...</strong><br /> Next time I should compare it with famous MD 50mm f1.7...<br /> Thanks,<br /> <em> Maciek Stankiewicz</em></p><div>00YBSw-330097584.jpg.4f7e959336995dab0a233966f8e3389b.jpg</div>

<p>So far as I'm concerned, you're preaching to the converted, <strong>Maciek</strong>; I'm a great admirer of Minolta lenses and the little 50mm f/2 always seemed an excellent performer, pretty much up to the high standards set by it's bigger brothers. That's a nice practical test with no real surprises; from f/5.6 down to f/16 the quality is consistent and the improvements fairly minimal. The lens is very similiar to the f/1.7, being 6 elements in 5 groups.</p>

<p>Here are a couple of handy references, if you're interested.</p>

<p>http://www.rokkorfiles.com/Battle%20of%2050s1.htm<br /> http://www.paulfvs.dds.nl/lenstest.html</p>

<p>Thanks for posting!</p>

<p>Of the slower standard Minolta lenses my favorite is the 50/1.7 MC Rokkor-X. It is very good optically and its aperture ring is metal, not plastic. I have a 50/2 MD and have used it a few times. Last week I picked up aother 50/1.7 MD Rokkor-X in very nice shape. At one time I had an SRT 100 which came with a 50/1.9. I considered the 50/1.9 to be very good but traded it with the SRT 100. The 50/1.7 MD is so close in size and price to the 50/2 MD that the 50/1.7 seems to be a better value. I would like to see a comparison between the 50/2 MD and the 45/2. From f/2.8 down the 45 is also pretty good. </p>

<p>Thanks for the post. I was at a camera show last week and bought a box of Minolta gear <br>

from an estate sale just to get a Rokkor 300mm f/4.5 and a Rokkor 28mm f/2.5 for my<br>

SR-T101's. Included in the box was a Minolta X370N camera with Minolta 50mm f/2 lens.<br>

The camera has a frozen film advance, probably needs a new 20 uf 4v capacitor for the<br>

electronic shutter, but am trying the lens on one of my SR-T101's this week with Fuji<br>

Superia Xtra 400 colour film.<br>

Best regards,<br>

/Clay</p>

<p>Thank You all for the response. <br /> <strong> I am not sure about value of the first picture (named: Crop, lens @ f2) because the right side of that crop is blurry. It may be a scanning problem or film flatness problem since the rest of the orginal frame (right side) is much sharper....</strong></p>

<p><strong> Rick, </strong>Thanks for the shortcuts to great pages. I found them before. I like that lens but my ,,workhorse" is MD 50 f1.7. I heard that this lens is the best of all manual Minolta 50s, together with some Rokkor-X. I love it. It's really time to compare f1.7 with f2 :)<br /> <strong>Jeff,</strong> Maybe someday someone will post a comparison with 45mm lens. I don't own one...<br /> I just bought mint Minolta <strong>SRT 102 with the same 50mm f2 lens</strong>. I got strong feeling that<br /> I should test both lenses and post the results here:) But probably <strong>MD 50/1.7</strong> is the best in the gang.<br /> <strong>Louis</strong>, Thank You for kind words. I really like last four "real life" shots, especially the bokeh on graveyard shots. I think the lens was wide-open... And the picture with cat got that three-dimensional effect which I love.<br /> <strong>Bruce,</strong> I'm willing to see some shots from all of Your new lenses. How about ISO100 film<br /> and a tripod? :)<br /> Thanks,<br /> Maciek</p>

It's hard to make a "bad" 50. Minolta has long had a history of offering an economical, but high quality fast 50. The 55mmi

f1.9 MC Rokkor is a great lens and was offered with the SRT 100 at an attractive price. The last 50mm MD lenses were

often offered with various models to shave a bit more off the selling price. At the family camera shop we never stocked the

f2 except in the old SRT 200 kit (initially offering MC Rokkor f2, Celtic 135mm f3.5, Electroflash 25, and bag). My dad and

used to joke that when a customer came in for help with their X-700 we knew it came from Wal Mart if it had the f2 lens.

BTW, the 50mm f2 is a good performer as the images show. Thanks for posting.

<p>I too also Wondered how it preformed against the 45mm f2, but i did see that write up on the Rokkor files a long time ago, it was just too much information for me to discern really. I never got an f2 50mm tho. I have the Auto Rokkor 58mm 1.4, MC Rokkor -x 50mm 1.4, the 55mm 1.9 and the 50 1.7. As well as a few 45mm f2's. I considered the 45mm more of a normal lens than the 50mm . SO i thought since they are both the same max aperture it would be better to go with a 45mm. I also should mention I love how compact and comfortable the 55 1.9 is. </p>