BEST WALK AROUND LENS FOR CANON 7D

david israel

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I might get laughed at, but my favorite walk around lens is the Canon 18-135mm IS 3.5-5.6. It is the perfect range for just about everything...wide and has enough zoom to get in tight when needed. It doesn't have the fastest aperture but does hold its own especially considering it has the newest IS (4 stops). When I need something faster I toss on the primes, but 90% of my shots are taken with this baby. It doesn't have USM but the focus is still very fast and spot on (I'd say 98% as good/fast as a USM). The best part...you can pick up a refurbished one for under $300! </p>

<p>Speaking to "overlap", I find overlap good. I use the 24-105mm the 70-200mm and the 500mm plus the 1.4x TC. I've really got a lot covered and only miss the extreme WA and the short end of super-tele. The 24-105mm covers WA to portrait range and the 70-200mm covers portrait to tele. At the wide end I'm almost always at 24mm and at the long zoom end, I'm almost always a 200mm, but around the portrait range I'm in the 60-120mm range quite a bit. With overlap I think that I'm less inclined and compelled to mover from the 24-105mm to the 70-200mm. I chose which lens to mount on the camera depending on whether I'll be at the WA lens or at the tele end and I'm pretty indifferent in the middle.</p>

<p>I should say that I work with two bodies, the 5D2 and the 7D, so that gives me added flexibility, to move between FF and 1.6-crop sensor.</p>

<p>I have been happy enough with my 7D and the Tamron 18- 270MM lens that I will probably order the new Tamron 18- MM lens with the PZD it is a little lighter and quicker to focus according to a couple of reviews. This lens with the 7D gives you the range of a MM lens to a MM lens on a full frame and mine works fine with a Kenko pro 1.4 teleconverter. It makes it vary easy to walk around with everything from a wide angle to a MM lens with stabilization. The older model is selling for about $400 now ( this model is only a year old ) the new one has been on B & H for $649 That comes within the budget on brand new lens with 6 year warranty.<br>

Jim</p>

<p>When the Canon 17-55mm 2.8 IS USM lens first came on the market here in the US, I bought it. I had a Canon 30 D at the time. I currently have seven lenses of which six are Canon. 75% of the time I have the 17-55 on my 7D. My second choice is the Canon 70-200 f4 IS lens. Light and sharp for me. Good luck. You have about three lenses suggested that are frequent repeats. I would be interested in what you purchase if anything........</p>