Hasselblad 50's and Barrel Distortion

robb_williamson2

Hi there.

I am looking into purchasing a hassy 50, probably the 50 f 2.8 f to

use on my 201F. I am new to Hasselblad and have used the Mamiya 7

since it came out. No barrel distortion there.

The 50 f is more difficult to rent for me to check it out. Does it

show barrel distortion like the CF 60? How about the CF 50?

Thanks for your time.

Robb Williamson

www.williamsonimages.com

If you're looking for a near distortion free lens you should look into either the Superwide or the Brooks Plaubel Veriwide 100 The Veriwide takes seven 2 1/4 x 3 1/2 (6cm x 10cm) frames on 120, has a 47mm Schneider Super Angulon lens,comes equipped with bubble levels and a frame finder, and has an accessory shoe for a Leitz optical finder. The specially marked Leitz Veriwide finder is hard to come by but it's the basically same as the 21mm finder. I bought one a couple years ago almost mint with finder for $1,000.00 but "user" condition ones sans Leitz finder can be had for around $400.00 to $500.00 from time to time on Ebay.

barrel distortion on the 60 is pronounced at the edjes and goes well into the frame, especially if you are not accustomed to seeing it. you certainly don't expect it on a hasselblad lens, i purchased (second hand) and found out by surprise (ouch!). great in the woods, great portrait, but architecture, rent first robb and save yourself a few grand.

the 38 is perfect and the 80 is what i would call un-objectional.

If you still have your Mamiya 7 you might try the 43 or 50mm on it. I have the Hasselblad 50CFi and it does have some barrel distortion and "pulls" the corners a bit. I think the 50F is about the same. The Mamiya lens are very flat in field and distortion free. I use my Mamiya 7 50mm a lot for work that does not require camera movements. Its a great lens. Used its probably about the same price (or less) as the Hasselblad lens.

• 3 weeks later...

You don´t need to guess about distortion with Zeiss lenses: Technical data are available on the Zeiss website www.zeiss.de/photo for every current Zeiss lens in the Hasselblad system (and Contax, and Rollei).

When I interpret the distortion graphs of Distagon 60, Distagon 2.8/50 and Distagon CFi 4/50, with my Zeiss-employee background, I find the 4/50 to be the best of the three, then the 2,8/50 closely following, and then the 3,5/60.

For demanding architecture photos with a "zero distortion" requirement, the Biogon 38 and the Planar 100 are the preferred optics in the Hasselblad system.