ISO on NIKON D5000

sunilmendiratta

<p>Hi All,</p>

<p>I have one question regarding iso setting of D5000. User manual suggests that the base iso should be 200. As per my understanding the base iso should be lowest for better results. we all know D5000 is capable and give good result at higher iso as well but that is not the question.</p>

<p>My question is if i go below iso 200, is there any benefit or drawback? Did anyone suggest...</p>

<p>Many Thanks,<br>

Sunil</p>

<p>Image quality is best at the base ISO - in your case ISO 200. You may not see much of a difference going to ISO 100 though and it could be useful at times. Base ISO on my D90 is 200 and I was shooting moving water with a circular polarizer on a cloudy day and still needed to drop to ISO 100 to get the effect I wanted (I could have used a ND filter but it was so hot and humid and I didn't really feel like setting up my Cokin filter holder and such.)</p>

<p>Theoretically, you will lose some dynamic range if you go below the base ISO (ISO 200 in the case of the D5000 as well as D90, as they use the same sensor). Potentially there could be some clipping in the highlight (very bright) areas in the frame. In most images you'll probably see no difference, but if an image has very major contrasts, there may be some negative effect.</p>