Contax 167MT- Lithium battery in the camera.

<p>I have seen a query from an owner of the above camera. She states that it is 19 years old, well looked after, but she wants the lithium battery inside the camera replacing. I own the 167, and as a result I have dug out my camera manual. The only reference there is under Power Source :4 x 1.5V AAA size batteries. Built-in lithium battery for memory protection. Nowhere else in the manual is there any reference to the lithium batttery.<br>

Anyone have any idea about this battery, size, where it is fitted, and how long it will last ? And can it be replaced easily, or is it a camera technician's job ?</p>

<p>Frederick -<br>

Most original lithium cells had a claimed 10 year shelf life. Modern lithiums, like Energizer Ultimates claim 15 years. I'd suspect that 'memory holding' battery drain would just about = shelf life.<br>

In factory instrumentation and some PC boards, the batteries are either in slide in holders or are soldered directly to the circuit. No idea on your case. This is background info only. Good luck.<br>

Jim</p>

<p>I found some additional information <a href="http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=17328">here</a>. I think it falls under fair use if I cite the instructions:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You need to remove the bottom cover, the top cover, the cover around the lens mount and the front panel on the shutter release side.<br />Removal of the top cover is described here: <br />�<a href="http://books.google.com/books?id=FVYGuuNYF6QC&pg=PA145&lpg=PA145&dq=contax+167+remote+socket&source=web&ots=NH-fPwfcPh&sig=4UliHTwEBu2RTaiBwnf8LziAR0s#v=onepage&q=contax%20167%20remote%20socket&f=false">books.google.com/books?id=FVYGuuNYF6QC& … mp;f=false</a><br />You also need to remove one screw on left side and the right side of the top cover and two screws that hold the top cover and the cover around the lens mount together.<br>

The cover around the lens mount is additionally held by two screws on the bottom, covered by two rubber pads.<br>

Removing the bottom cover is easy - the battery chamber and everything else there stays in place.<br>

The front panel is held by four screws: two at the lens mount and two on the side of the camera. The screws on the side are covered by a plastic strip that is glued on.<br>

Now you have the battery in plain sight...<br>

HTH,<br>

Dirk</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Thank you, Dirk! Sounds easy enough, but I would recommend leaving the job to someone else if you haven't disassembled a camera before. If you decide to go ahead, please let us know what type of lithium battery the 167 uses. I can't find this information anywhere.</p>

<p>Problem solved. Feedback through a third party on this matter, and from a Contax trained technician, the battery change is not necessary. Battery life 10 yrs. Lithium battery-so will not leak. When some 167s were returned to Contax for battery change, it caused some problems and damage to the electronics, whilst being done. The lithium battery only powers the lcd display, showing av;tv;etc,etc. when the AAA batteries are removed whilst film is loaded and camera in use.</p>