Broken camera, broken flash or user error?

linda_roina

<p><strong>I have a D7000.</strong> When I use my SB800 and the "U1" (which was set by me) setting on my camera I get a good flash picture. When I move the dial to the same settings on "M" I get a black photo. I can't figure out if I am doing something wrong or there is something faulty with the camera. When I put the SB800 on my D300 it works fine with the same settings. Ever since I got the camera the flash has acted weird on this camera. By that I mean every once in awhile it just fires without me touching it. Something just does not seem right. Any ideas?</p>

<p>It could be a loose connection between the foot of the SB-800 and your D7000 body. Does your mounted SB-800 have any slight movement when attached to the D7000? The D300 may have a mount with less clearance for the SB-800, making the problem not existing.</p>

<p>You may with to contact Nikon USA</p>

<p>www.nikonusa.com</p>

<p>with a e-mail for assistance. You may have to send in both the D7000 and the SB-800 for service -- if that is what you want to do.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I don't have much idea about this specific case, but I would say 90% of these problems are the result of what is behind the camera, not inside the camera, the lens, or the flash.</p>

<p>Set the camera exposure mode to M again, shutter speed 1/30 sec, aperture f5.6, and ISO 400. Set the SB-800 to the i-TTL mode and try another flash image.</p>