Hahnemuhle Bamboo

<p>I am considering trying out some of Hahnemuhle's bamboo paper but I am wondering if anyone has heard anything at all about print longevity with this paper (on an Epson 3880)? I can't find anything on the Hahnemuhle website or the Wilhelm Institute website. Thanks!</p>

<p>Ever heard the phrase, "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic"? :-)</p>

<p>I think worrying about the life span of paper as long as you can avoid high-acid papers, is somewhat similar in the context of the real limiting variable in printing in color being the ink and pigments, not the paper.</p>

<p>I expect that you are well aware of that, but I sort of felt obliged to put it on the record. I am not trying to be a smart aleck, really.</p>

<p>I have an Epson pigment printer, but I still wouldn't bet the family farm on any thing but three-color separations, etc. for real archival persistence. There's no doubt the pigments are getting better all the time, but still....</p>

<p>I don't think that's quite right JDM- the ink/paper combination is critical. See the range in results for K3 inks and variants here:<br>

http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/cgi-bin/mrk/_4552c2hvd19kb2NfbGlzdC80</p>

<p>Bruce, on the independent non-profit testing site I listed there are test results for Bamboo and Epson K3 ink. If you donate to Aardenburg you can view all the results and help keep their tests going! I did.</p>

<p>True, but I was just commenting on the likelihood that chemically neutral paper should last longer than the more ephemeral pigments will retain their original color.</p>

<p>The very useful tests you link to are really for fading as a result of light exposure. I confess I was thinking more about archival permanence, a subject not all that compatible with display. It is sort of a contradiction, isn't it; you can keep it forever if you don't ever look at it.</p>

<p>Everyone interested in print permanency should support Aardenburg! They really are doing great work on a shoestring budget. It is not just the paper but the coating as well. If you look at the tests with Museo Portfolio Rag (great paper stock, all rag and pretty stiff so the edges don't curl), it performs quite poorly compared to Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Ultra Smooth (my alternative matte paper). Light grays and light browns fade significantly. Image deterioration can take place even without light exposure as environmental pollutants can impact things as well (though some of this could be addressed by sealed storage).</p>

<p>@Steve Sawusch - a number of Epson papers contain very high levels of optical brightening agents whose fading causes yellowing of the paper (prime example is Epson Exhibition Fiber). This could be the reason. I would rely more on the Aardenburg data as all the tests are funded by users rather than paper manufacturers.</p>

<p>Hello Bruce-</p>

I am the head of Tech Support at Hahnemühle USA, and I would be happy to assist you with your questions about our Bamboo paper. Information about the archivablity and lightfastness of our papers is available on our website in the Digital FineArt Products section under 'Longevity'. Here is the direct link to a PDF of the independent lab results which include Bamboo paper:

<p> </p>

<strong><a href="http://www.hahnemuehle.com/media/43_produkte_digital_fineart_alterungsbestaendigkeit_lne.pdf">http://www.hahnemuehle.com/media/43_produkte_digital_fineart_alterungsbestaendigkeit_lne.pdf</a></strong>

<p> </p>

Also, here is a link to the 'Longevity' where you can download the rest of test result for other surfaces in our line:

<p> </p>

<strong><a href="http://www.hahnemuehle.com/site/us/474/longevity.html">http://www.hahnemuehle.com/site/us/474/longevity.html</a></strong>

<p> </p>

Bamboo is acid-free and contains no OBA's. But a few of the commenters raised a good point-- having a good paper is only a piece of the puzzle to insure the most for the longevity of your prints. You also have to make sure you have a good stable inkset in your printer. Say if you are using an old dye-based ink printer the paper doesn't matter because that ink will fade on its own much quicker than an inkset like the K3.

<p> </p>

Another thing that is important to the life of a print is making sure that its is handled, display and stored properly. Hahnemühle papers are all fibre-based and are thus sensitive to environmental pollutants. Make sure that the paper is kept away from acids, solvents, plasticizers, anything that emits ozone, and limit the exposure to direct UV rays.

<p> </p>

I hope this info is helpful. Feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions.

<p> </p>

-Ashleigh

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks everyone. Some very useful information all around. I am using an Epson 3880 so I am using the K3 inks. Aardenburg does look like a good operation to support.</p>

<p>Ashleigh, on the lab results you posted a link to (the first link in your post), do you know if the inks used for this test were the K3 inks (or something similar)? I presume they were but I don't see that listed on the certificate. Thanks! Bruce</p>