Minolta XD5 vs. XD11?

<p>I'm looking at the Minolta XD-5 and XD-11 cameras on adorama.com, and I'm wondering which one you guys would suggest buying. They are both the same price, and the only difference between the two that I know of is that the XD-11 has a window in the finder that displays the current aperture setting, and it also has a viewfinder shutter. Are there any other differences that I don't know about?<br>

All else being the same (especially price), I would just buy the XD-11, but the issue is that the XD-11 has an "E-" condition rating, while the XD-5 has an "E+". Do you think the extra features of the XD-11 justify buying it with a lower condition rating? I'm new to photography, so I'm just looking for advice. If anything, just tell me what you would do as someone with a little more experience.</p>

<p>Just in case you don't know:<br>

"E-" = <strong> </strong>Shows signs of moderate use - Lens Glass is perfect but may have some dust which will not affect picture quality.</p>

"E+" = May have slight wear but only visible under close up inspection.

Thanks everyone!

<p>I have an XD11, bought new, currently defunct.</p>

<p>The XD5 and XD11 are basically the same camera, just different levels of "trim", ie, what you mentioned. I think the XD11 also has a window to tell you film is loaded and advancing, while the XD5 does not.</p>

<p>What do you shoot? Do you really want the shutter & aperture info in the window? If so, go for the XD11. </p>

<p>It doesn't sound like the rating is that different between them - both cameras are now close to 30 years old.</p>

<p>Having sold the XD5 and XD11 when they were new it's really a matter of whether or not you want aperture info from lens window and the VF shutter. I jokeningly call the XD5 the "poor cousin" to the XD11, but having owned an XD5 since 1980 (and it still works well), there's nothing poor about it. As old as those cameras are I'd go for the one in better condition. You might want to check KEH to see what they have. </p>

<p>That is true. I had an XD-5 a while back that I gave to my cousin. It had been fairly well used, and the paint had worn off the top cover on the corners, exposing plastic. I have an XD-11 in front of me right now and the top and bottom pieces are metal.</p>

<p>Since for me a large part of the point of an XD-11 is that it's a perfect, compact bit of German/Japanese collaborative engineering German/Japaneseness, the plastic renders the XD-5 pointless to me.</p>

<p>Kenneth: Don't know if the XD5 is made of the metalized plastic, but the newer ones seemed to be. I had an XG-9 that was broken (bought it for the bag and accessories, lol) that I took apart for curiosity. Though the silver top feels like metal, it wasn't. It was a VERY hard plastic with a layer of metal foil or skin over it. So, it may be possible that it has this kind of material on the cheaper XD5.</p>

<p>I would say the SR-T 101/102 and the XD-11 are the two best MF cameras Minolta ever made. Go for it. And do check out KEH. I'd bet a KEH "Bargain" would be in superior cosmetic condition to an Adorama E-. KEH lists stuff at BGN that is spotless.</p>

<p>Don'T know the XD-5. Mone is the EU version of the XD-11 and it is the finest Camera I own. I like having info in the finder as I like to think about or I generally think a lot about my photography. Doesn't do much good, but that's the way I am! I have only read good things about KEH. The price difference seems negligible, but them both and then send one back for a refund!</p>

<p>Kenneth,</p>

<p><a href="http://www.rokkorfiles.com">The Rokkor Files</a> is pretty much one-stop shopping for info on the <a href="http://www.rokkorfiles.com/XD11.html">XD-11 & XD-5</a> and pretty much all of the Minolta manual focus SLRs.</p>

<p>He writes:</p>

<blockquote>

In 1979 Minolta released a second model in the XD Range, called the XD5. This camera had all of the features that made the XD7/11 so good, with the exception of the aperture readout in the viewfinder, the viewfinder blind, and the film safe load indicator. Given that these are only minor changes, and the mechanical and electronic components of the cameras are identical, the XD5 makes a great selection if you are unable to find a XD7/11.

</blockquote>

I picked up an XD-11 at a camera show last year for $10. It's missing the battery cover/holder, but one from another Minolta can be made to work.

I'd go for the 11, myself...<br />