How to confirm a viewfinder has MP optic upgrade

Farkle-Mpls

<p>Thanks Richard.<br>

It was "done" by DAG but on the paperwork he returned to me, it was not mentioned. I'll call him and ask -- problematic plan with him since no answering machine and most eMails go unanswered. I was hoping there was a way to visually confirm.</p>

<p>Carl,</p>

<p>Don always sends me an informal email invoice briefly stating the work performed, the money owed and the two methods to pay him. Do you have such an email by chance?</p>

<p>Also, you might try shining a bright light at the viewfinder while looking through it to see if it blanks out.</p>

<p>Robert,</p>

<p>I have the hard copy statement he created saying he could not reproduce my original problem (which, of course, I reproduced in 30 seconds, consistently and repeatedly, without failure) and didn't mention anything about the optics upgrade, which I prepaid. Of course, this non-repair took four months. So ... to say I'm disappointed is a vast understatement. He did mention he did a CLA "as needed" since he had the camera apart, which I am thankful for.</p>

<p>Oh yeah, most eMails during those four months went unanswered (except when we were discussing payment for the optic upgrade) and I cannot leave vMail because he doesn't seem to have an answering machine (?) ... anyway, it rings and rings and rings. Maybe I was hitting call waiting ...? I'm trying to maintain a bit of hope but right now I'm very frustrated.</p>

<p>Lastly, I will try the bright light trick and see if it behaves differently than the M4-P (no upgraded optics).</p>

<p>The easiest method for me is to aim the camera at a subject that is surrounded by a wide, diffuse light source. A flagpole against an overcast white sky would do nicely, as would, say, a nail head in a well-lit white wall. If the rangefinder patch doesn't white out then, it probably has the upgrade.</p>

<p>Just to wrap up this thread, I tried many times to call Don with no luck. No answering machine, I guess. Anyway, I dropped him an eMail and he replied back a couple days later apologizing for the lack of documentation and stating he had indeed installed the upgrade. </p>

<p>Now Gus gets to upgrade my M4-P with the same optics. Exciting for me as that's really becoming one of my favorite cameras.</p>

<p><strong>Hi Robert & Carl !</strong><br>

Here are the three Leica components that make up the modification kit:</p>

<ol>

<li>420-070-315-044 - New mirror for mask</li>

<li>420-070-325-000 - New lens with slider frame</li>

<li>420-070-350-025 - New mask spring </li>

</ol>

<p>All three currently add up to a parts cost of $81.</p>

<p>As you can see, these bits would be tough to identify through the diffuser window...</p><div>00YEDO-332919584.JPG.e8c986de2b35b09c4e91d4d246fabdb4.JPG</div>

• 1 month later...

<p>Hey Gus thank you! I bet that's MY M4-P, isn't it? Funny ... I just sent you a private eMail lamenting that I never got pics of my M4-P on PNet when you had it. Guess I should've checked this posting first!</p>

<p>Thank you for the posting and the service work (readers: I just had Gus perform this upgrade so I'll be shooting with this camera very shortly).</p>

• 1 month later...