changed my pricing, should I explain why?

<p>Hello All,<br>

I recently changed my pricing. My sessions used to include a CD, online album and did not up-charge my prints. <br>

Now my sessions do not include the CD anymore, and prints are charged starting at $15.<br>

I am already feeling a little backlash of changing my system, which I was prepared to deal with.... even if I don't want to lose business, I had to change to continue to be succesful and more importantly, KEEP UP with the volume of work!<br>

Anyhow, I have a list I made for myself explaining why I raised my prices, do you think it's necessary or helpful to share them with my clients (via my blog)? Or is that tacky and should I just leave it as it is? <br>

It is a shock for some people, I'm sure, but I'm still not in the highest range of my competitors, I wanted to be in the mid-high range, so I wasn't completely unaffordable. <br>

I'm just torn on whether this is a good idea or not!<br>

advice, please and thank you!</p>

<p>This was created for my own purposes, so I probably wouldn't include every single thing but here's the general idea:</p>

<p>1) When I started this business I was not aware of the costs associated with running it; equipment, taxes etc.<br>

2) When I was first starting out, my equipment and knowledge was limited and I did not feel I should charge as much as my competitors. Now I feel I offer a quality product at the same level or better!<br>

3) My competition is STILL charging more than I do, but I wanted to provide a somewhat affordable product to average people, like me!<br>

4) My photography is not a commodity; value should not be placed on the print itself, but the image that is on it. There are many cheaper alternate photo studios, but many times they do not take the time to make your images look their best, travel to you, work with you on your ideas or edit the photos.<br>

5) I changed photo labs to ensure that the prints are the highest quality possible. Having a photo printed by a professional lab compared to a cheap printer (ie. CVS, Sam’s Club, snapfish etc) is a world of difference. Also, every order placed through <a href="http://www.dunksprints.com/">www.dunksprints.com</a> is reviewed by me. Digital photos can be cropped when ordered at enlarged sizes, if I see that there is a too much cut off or a head/arm etc is missing due to the natural cropping, I can usually fix it, or adjust the crops to minimize the cut off.<br>

5) And possibly the most relevant: I could not keep up with the volume of work at the price it was being offered. Customer Service was lacking, my turnaround time for photos was getting very slow and I was unable to focus on anything in my life, other than editing. This has resulted in the decision to have my editing outsourced when I am too busy to handle it, which also adds to the cost of the final product.</p>

<p>Maybe give it to them only if they ask why?</p>

<p>When you explain yourself when people don't ask, it's like a famous Illinois politician who once said "I am not a wimp" or a President who said "I am not a crook" and more, if you follow my point.</p>

<p>If they're really searching that hard for me on the web, let them read it.</p>

<p>And, yes, I just feel like it will keep coming up until people are adjusted to the new prices. I was just trying to show justification for the change, which there is a lot of, but I shouldn't have to. just throwing it out there to get opinions.</p>

<p>In your list, you say that the most relevant reason was because you couldn't keep up with the volume. So if it weeds out a few previous customers, wasn't that kinda the goal? I don't think you need to justify your increases to anyone else and that most people getting into photography charge too little. There will likely always be others who charge more and places who charge less. Make sure you are getting paid what you deserve. </p>

<p>Customers often don't realize there may be 1-2 hrs (or more) post-processing, editing, creating slideshows, albums etc for every hour of shooting. Plus the cost of equipment, insurance, backups, software, computers, etc. No need to say any more than I NEED TO MAKE A PROFIT.<br>

If they want to go with the lower cost/possibly inferior product it's a free market.</p>

<p>I think you have a very solid explanation for your price rises. It is never easy, especially for clients you enjoy working with but it is a fact of life.<br>

Do you expect an explanation for rising prices when you walk into your supermarket or take your cr for a service? Why is photography any different?<br>

In our small company we have taken different approaches depending on who the client is, and the frequency of the work they placed with us. For very regular clients we wrote to them preemptively explaining that prices were about to rise. For occasional clients we answered questions if they commented on it. In either case the explanations were very top-level.<br>

Most of your reaons are along the lines of 'I was starting out but now I feel I am able to offer a superior personal service and I have taken on higher quality of providers for printing and processing'. I would avoid talking about competitors, especially #3 sounds like you are charging more because you can. If they raise the cheaper studios you can again talk about the personal service you offer.</p>

<p>If that is your business strategy, stick with it. 2 years ago I changed mine and for me, I would rather get my money upfront and make just a little from print sales. I found out that people would rather pay me 2K to shoot the event than to buy 2K worth of prints! It's hard from them to justify 15.00 for a 4X6, they just don't understand. It also makes you frustrated when they don't buy prints. You begin to think they didn't like your work. All of my clients also think that my print prices are very reasonable. BTW, I looked at your site and the few galleries I looked at were not locked. So any body to include your clients can simply save the files and print them at walmart. You can also sell the digital files on your site. Good luck/ Buffdr</p>

<p>Thanks for everyone's opinions. This is something I obviously have struggled with. I just feel "bad" about it, since it IS personal. I know a lot of my clients or I get referrals from them, or quickly develop a personal relationship with them after one session, so they have me back a lot.<br>

I don't want to turn anyone away because they can't afford it, but it's part of growth and sustainability. I was not providing a very "personal" or at times, quality experience when I was so stressed out and over worked. I'm not being greedy either, I just calculated my expenses/profit and since I live affordably, I am able to survive but it's kinda sad when I see how hard I worked and how much I actually made.<br>

I also struggle (still) with the idea of including the disc or not, but I felt that if I charged a the new price, flat fee w/the CD included, that'd really be a shock. Not that people can't do the math and add the session price + CD price and/or prints, but maybe they could break it up and buy them when then could afford to, later. <br>

And the idea of "outsourcing" editing is not ideal, however it'd just be basic editing to get them ready for my final touches. I can't imagine having someone else completely edit my photos, but there are times where I can't keep up and that seems like the best option... and again, this list was written as a guideline for myself, although now of course the whole world can see it if they'd like to.</p>

<p> </p>

<p><<<BTW, I looked at your site and the few galleries I looked at were not locked. So any body to include your clients can simply save the files and print them at walmart. You can also sell the digital files on your site. >>></p>

<p>If you are referring to the smugmug/www.dunksprints.com site, I have some albums unprotected so they could download the original, for various reasons, on a case by case basis. Most of them are not right click protected, but they are not downloadable and I will be offering digital downloads through them.<br>

But all albums online currently, it doesn't matter anyway because they all received a CD.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>How does does farming out the printing to an online company constitute "personal service"?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The personal service is taking the pictures and the measures Brittany goes to travel to the client etc as she described. That is the interaction she has with the client so is the 'personal' aspect of what she does.</p>

<p>I just recently changed my prices as well, but I don't think an explanation is necessary. If someone asks you in a sales meeting then I think its okay to offer them your thoughts, but I wouldn't just put it out on the web for everyone to read. New potential clients may see it and be turned off.</p>

<p>Well congrats on having lots of work. It's always a good sign.<br>

Initially I thought you might be one of those Craigslist $25 all in one deal! Checking your website, your price seems OK. What I'm puzzled with is, you have lots of different pricing groups. I don't know if that is confusing matters. What if the client likes you to do family portraits. And in it are some baby photos? $175 vs $525?<br>

How long are your sessions? Do you spend hrs on the said $175 family portraits or $200 for engagement? 40-50 photos can lead to long PP time. If you avg about 5mins per image on a 50 photo package, you are down to about $4/hr! That excludes the time spent during the shoot. Wow....</p>

<p>I recently updated my prices and a couple of weeks before the increase I wrote a <a href="http://funcrunchphoto.com/blog/new-rates-20110116">blog entry about it,</a> explaining some of the reasons why. Haven't gotten any feedback thus far. I also sent heads-up notices to a number of customers and potential customers before raising the prices to give them a chance to order before the change. Some took advantage of this, some didn't. *shrug*</p>

<p>Part of the reputation you've earned with your existing clients is your pricing. You're entering the next phase of your business growth. You're going to lose a number of clients and gain new ones who are willing to pay your price. You're not going to "convert" all of your existing clients. They're use to paying and receiving what they have and will find another low-priced photographer. What exactly are you afraid of losing? Clients who take up hours and hours of your time and who you don't make any money from?<br>

Put yourself in their shoes. If the store you buy your shoes from had a 50% increase, would you continue to buy your shoes there or go somewhere else?<br>

You obviously don't want to continue on this path, so just realize that you can't be everything to everyone. Best of luck!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Put yourself in their shoes. If the store you buy your shoes from had a 50% increase, would you continue to buy your shoes there or go somewhere else?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well that's a bit different. A Adidas Samba is the same at Store A vs. Store B vs Online Store C. So you can shop around.<br>

Photography is a bit different. It's a bit more subjective. Unless the OP's product is mediocre, and that there are plenty of alternatives, then people will remain.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone, all valid points! I think it was just fear that was holding me back, that and I sometimes wish I could be "everything to everyone" (whether it jeopardized my well-being and/or income). But then I'd get mad at myself for being "too nice" and overworking myself and not having a ton of money to show for it.<br>

But I had to change and I knew it, so I did and I'm not looking back! And I just booked three jobs (two of which DID use me at my old price) and they are all fine with it.... So, I guess it'll be a case-by-case basis.</p>