Anyone try across the chest 'bandolero' style sling strap with a snap hook, like this brand?

GerrySiegel

<p>I have been thinking of ordering something like this, for when I have to get out of the car with just camera, walk down a long trail, or walk around a city with a lightweight travel camera , real light, like my G-1, and still manage a backpack with days' goodies.<br /> I have already have a tendency to want to carry my camera in a pouch and use the neck strap long enough to sling across my chest vs even over the shoulder where it slips down. No, nothing around the neck thanks for me...<br /> There are several companies that seem to advertise these waist sling straps, some with padding more or less. (Reminds me of how Musqueteer swordsmen carried sabers, by a strap around the shoulder accessory belt).<br /> I don't see myself using it for a heavy weight DSLR, but would be interested in any user experience with heavier gear too. <br /> Camera attaches by a plug in the tripod socket,or so it seems. Any recommendations,thoughts?<br /> http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-7/</p>

<p>I watched a Chicago Tribune photographer shoot a concert with two lens/body combinations. I think the 70-200 zoom and D3 were on one of these. My only concern is swing- I noticed that he was very careful about moving around and maintaining control of the slung camera when he turned. With a standard strap I can sling it with the prism towards my body and the lens nestles against my back- I don't have to worry about knocking out a little old lady if I turn suddenly.</p>

<p>On the other hand, the single point sling seems to make the camera a bit more accessible when you actually grab it to take a picture of something. The strap would be out of the way and you'd be less likely to get it twisted.</p>

<p>I use the Sunsniper with a Canon 1d MkIII, 70-200 F2.8 IS L and a 580 EX with battery pack. This rig alowed me movement without killing my neck. I can slide the camera down and out of the way when I want to and it is readily available when I need it.</p>

<p>Like all accessories they work best under some conditions and not others. When I am sitting in one place I like to use a monopod , but for walking around the sling is the way to go.</p>

<p>I like mine and I wouldn't give it up now.</p>

<p>Ed</p>

<p>Thanks for the feedback. I am likely to order the Black Rapid one. I don't need a wire theft preventer. So many gadgets, but this sounds like it would have a place for my uses. Got some good feedback on the Amazon website. I am not sure if the shoulder padding would be too bulky or not, have to just try and see if I get one. aloha, gs</p>

<p>For years, I used and was happy with OpTech straps. I always wore these hanging from my right shoulder for easy carry, but constantly had to fidget with the strap to keep it on my shoulder. A friend lent me a Sniper Strap for a day, and I'm hooked. Because it hands from the oppositw shoulder and across the chest, the strap cannot slip off, and the camera is easily pulled into shooting position. Comfortable with a 1Ds + 70-200 f/2.8 + (sometimes) 580EX.</p>

<p>I've used a Blackrapid with both of my 5Ds (MkI & II), with battery grip, lenses up to a 70-200 2.8 plus a 580EX flash and it works great! Leaves me with both hands free, but can just grab the camera when needed. Have walked miles at festivals with my camera at my hip with no problems. It really saves my wrist, arms and shoulders.<br>

I've also used it with on set with a Jacobson blimp and just swap the eye screw back to the camera when I no longer need the blimp. Much, much better than hand holding a blimp for hours on end. Best $40 I ever spent. I have not tried the dual camera strap setup myself, but a pro friend of mine said it didn't work well for her.<br>

The only thing you have to be aware of is that when the camera and lens sits at your hip, the A/M focus switches on the lens can get switched when rubbing against your body, so be sure to check that or put a piece of gaff tape over the switch. Also, the BR screw in eye can occasionally loosen up, so be sure to check it once in a while.</p>

• 4 months later...