diegobuono

Yesterday, on an exhibition of used gear in Italy, I saw a CF 105 UV

in good condition (apart the plastic/rubber part of focussing ring

that was loose) for 1.450 euros. Wasn't this lens a rare one for

special purposes? Why this low price? It is good for general

photography?

Thank to all for your precious help.

Diego,

Yes, you can (!) use this lens for general photography. It should be really good too (no chromatic aberrations at all). Maybe you should add a UV-filter though.

Why this low price? Good question.

It certainly isn't because the rubber is loose... ;-)

It is a very expensive special purpose lens. So special is its purpose, that it would be very hard to find someone in dire need of such a lens. Maybe that (noone looking for it) is part of the reason?

This lens has Fluorite elements. And if i remember correct, these do erode a bit due to atmospheric conditions (air humidity). Maybe it is in need of a repolish?

Anyway, Eu 1450 doesn't sound bad. I hope you bought the thing?

The Zeiss UV Sonnar 105 was developed for use with ultraviolet light. It was/is used in scientific and forensic laboratories. It was discontinued more then a decade ago, since the market was saturated. Since general photography has no use for ultraviolet light (human beings are unable to see it), the UV Sonnar 105 is not recommended there.

Kornelius,

Please allow me to put in two more questions.

First, when you say this lens is not recommended for general photography, is it because it is a poor performer, or just because there is no need for such a lens in general photography?

And is there any truth in the stories i have heard, saying that the fluorite elements do erode and need repolishing now and again?

From an old Hasselblad booklet I have found: Zeiss UV Sonnar 105 to be used in wavelength between 215-700nm. The human eye can see wavelength between 400-700nm therefore I think the lens can be used also in the normal spectrum. But may be that is useless to use this lens in general photography. May be there can be some advantage in aerial photography or mountain were UV are stronger? His minimum focus distance is 1.8 m and the max aperture is f4.3

Correct, the UV Sonnar can be used in normal spectrum delivering good image quality. However, there is a Planar 3,5/100 which will deliver excellent image quality in normal spectrum and should therefore be preferred.

Aerial photography usually avoids short wavelengths, especially UV, in order to obtain maximum clarity. So the UV Sonnar should be of very little use for aerial photographers. By the way: the Planar 100 is the favourite lens of almost any aerial photographer using Hasselblad.

Fluorite elements can suffer from being exposed to moisture. Zeiss therefore applies a coating which protects the optical surfaces of fluorite elements. As long as this coating is not damaged, the fluorite elment will stay in perfect condition.

Those who are fascinated by the UV Sonnar and can get their hands on such a lens: feel free to experiment with it and enjoy the special photos you can make provided you have film which can record UV. But do not expect visual wonders with pretty normal subjects in very normal light.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...