Rye Meads UK advice

jon_savage

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I was planning on making a vist to Rye Meads nature reserve (UK). </p>

<p>http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/r/ryemeads/map.aspx</p>

<p>While I've often go to parks, woods and lakes I can't ever recall going to a place with hides and viewing huts before. I'll take my camera but I guess the first visit will just be to see what it is like.</p>

<p>So what I'm asking is if anyone has any advice on visiting these kind of places with a camera? Specifically anyone from the UK who knows Rye Meads? I wouldn't want to get in anyones way or do the wrong thing. Also, any advice on makng the most of the day and improving your changes of getting some shots? What might I expect?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

Hi Jon. are you a member of rspb? Iused to live in Harlow so I know the site(birding).I have no doubt that photography is ok, but ring and check with the rspb staff. All the hides are free access and a good day can be had there and in the lea valley environment. Good shooting(not the birds ) miken PS I non members are charged for access

<p>Hi Mike,</p>

<p>Thanks for the response. I e-mailed them but didn't get a reply. I went there this morning with the family. As non member it was only £2 to park.</p>

<p>Earlier this week it was out looked clear skies but in the end the weather was grey cloud, ice and a cold wind! But really it was just to see and get some fresh air. We ended up spending a few hours there. To the untrained eye we didn’t see much but there were still a few serious bird photographers there going by the size of their cameras, lenses and tripods.</p>

<p>The staff were friendly and as the publics coffee vending machine was broken they offered to make us some. We liked it enough to join. So I expect to be back there when the light’s better and the ice has gone.</p><div>00Y7YV-326313684.jpg.b50aa80a9a8f0970abff45f813a20271.jpg</div>

<p>I remember going there the other side of Christmas when things were still iced up, but a couple of Bitterns had popped in for a visit as well. Staff were nice and helpful, and only parking is charged.</p>

<p>It did highlight just how "short" 500mm is for that kind of birding, and how digiscoping might be useful. I might see if I can get down there again when things warm up; at the very least it's a nice walk.</p>