Fix For Weak Rubber Cover on D700?

john_hinkey

<p>i don't like using the tape because after a while it turns to mush and leaves sticky residue in its place. but frankly, it just keeps getting worse. i used to be able to use my thumb to scoot the rubber downward -- which kept the covers in place. now it slides back up pretty quickly, so the covers flap around quite a bit. between that problem and the rubber grips coming loose, i don't know which has been worse. it sure does detract from an otherwise super camera.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>John, did you try to really push it in. In my experience this is something I tend to forget....</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yep, I've pushed really hard all the way around the edges, etc. without any positive effect.<br>

I'm going to try to clean both the rubber and the seal surfaces on the body to try to make them more "sticky".</p>

<p>And yes, I don't like using tape either for the same reason William states.</p>

<p>Thanks - John</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Is there Some kind of pollution that prevents THE rubber to stick?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Maybe - that's why I'm going to clean it.<br>

I may get a replacement rubber piece (they're not very expensive) and see how a new one fits. If it fixes the problem I may send it off to APS to have them replace it if it's not too costly to do.</p>

<p>John</p>

<p>I just bought a replacement cover for $16 (including shipping) and will replace it myself if the new cover sticks in place better than the original.</p>

<p>I discovered by accident that if you pull away the rubber grip just a bit near where the cover attaches to the body you can get easy access to the 2 screws that hold the cover on. Hopefully will take about 10 minutes to replace.</p>

<p>I'll let you know how it goes.</p>

<p>John</p>

<p>Well, my replacement cover just showed up and it fits just as poorly as the original. Seems Nikon cut some QC corners here. Shame they did this on such an expensive camera. It looks like I'll have to come up with some other fix that does not include gaffers tape.</p>

<p>I'll let you know what I end up doing to fix this annoyance.</p>

<p>John</p>