Whither a tripod

tim_eastman

<p>My wife and I are traveling to Florence & Cinque Terre in July for a wedding anniversary of some friends. When I travel I generally take a tripod, so carrying one does not bother me, especially my new CT 3441S. Occasions for use will be marginal lighting situations and some HDR shots, as well as 360 panoramas. Of course museums and churches are out, but I have heard different stories about using tripods in public places. Any feedback would be appreciated.</p>

<p>I don't think that there's any particular issue with tripods in public places just so long as it is public- and a museum courtyard wouldn't count as public. The thing you'll have to appreciate is that both areas are busy- the main Cinque Terre villages and the stations can get extremely busy especially at weekends. I've photographed in both these areas with tripods and provided you're patient and you don't cause an obstruction you should be OK. Especially in the Cinque terre, make the most of the early mornings before they get busy.</p>

<p>As an alternative to a regular tripod, may I suggest a high quality table top tripod. When I travel and cannot use a regular tripod (or choose not to carry one because of weight considerations), I always take along my Leica table top with either the Leica table top head or the little Really Right Stuff head attached.</p>

<p>This thing is unbelievably sturdy (can support my D3 with 70-200 attached), lightweight and folds flat so it it easy to carry (I stick it in my belt) and can be used anywhere including in museums and places of worship. What makes it so valuable is that you can mount it on anything available and avoid being limited by its short legs. I brace it against lampposts, parked cars, church pews, columns in cathedrals, walls and in a pinch, can brace it against one's chest to create a chest pad. The latter, while certainly not as stable as if mounted on a rock or pole, can work out in a pinch.</p>

<p>One other thought - an old pro buddy of mine taught me to never travel without a 7' piece of clothesline cord to which is attached a small eyebolt. It is in my pocket at all times when walking about without actual tripod. If you need support, screw the end of the eybolt into the tripod socket, drop the cord to the ground, step on the end of the cord and use <em><strong>UPWARD</strong></em> pressure to make the cord taut. It is contrary to what one normally does, but believe it when I say that the tension upward on the cord offers a good deal of stability. And it costs about $1 to fashion, weighs but a few ounces and folds up to nothing at all.</p>

<p>In fact, in the days before camera/lens stabilization became so common, I used to tout this "fix" on numerous photo sites and one day I visited Kirk Photo and found that Kirk offers just such a device (using a nylon web belt with a sewn in loop on the bottom for one's foot, a slide buckle to adjust the length and a fancy QR clamp for an insanely high price) . Why anyone would pay for something that can be made in 2 mintues with $2 worth of readily availabe materials (eyebolt and rope) is beyond me. Foot loop and sizing buckle? Just drop the end of the rope to the ground, step on the end to set the proper height and shoot.</p>

<p>Hope these ideas are useful.</p>

<p>Tim, when I go to Europe, I take a tripod I can put in my suitcase and use in public places, usually in early moring, around my hotel, etc. I do not use it during the day with lots of tourists around. I also take a pocket tripod similar to the one Eric has described. I just put it in my pocket and mount my camera to when needed in churches, cafe tables, etc. Simple and easy.<br>

Joe Smith</p>

<p>Slightly off topic but I'm wondering if anyone has had any hassles from our noble TSA groin-gropers when trying to fly with a tripod in carry-on luggage? I have a SLIK backpacking tripod that is heavy enough that in the eyes of the paranoid it might be usable as a weapon to overpower the flight crew. I'm pretty sure that you're not allowed to carry on a hammer for example and my tripod is just as heavy. Thanks.</p>