m4/3 to 4/3 adapter

porter

<p>I want to put my Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 on my E-5. Is there any adapter out there for this? I know you can go the other way, 4/3 to m4/3, but have never seen anyone want to go my intended route...</p>

<p>I love the shots I get with the 20mm, it has become my favourite lens and favourite focal length!</p>

<p><a title="Untitled by Patrick E Porter, on Flickr" href=" spacer.png src="http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5050/5378888914_0dcefbf572_z.jpg" alt="" width="640" height="480" /></a></p>

<p>Just to add to John's excellent response; You would be better off buying a lens specifically for the standard 4/3 mount that would preform with all the automatic functions your use to with your Panasonic 2mm and micro four thirds setup. Something like the Olympus 25mm 2.8 would be nice and compact choice. Or if thats not wide enough, you can look for a Samyang 14mm F/2.8 lens although focus will be manual.</p>

<p>Darn, my suspicions confirmed! Stupid 4/3 has no good short primes that aren't a million dollars. The 25mm f/1.4 would be 'okay', but those are hard to come by and all the ones on ebay are $1k+ :( 25mm f/2.8 just isn't fast enough unfortunately. It would work good sometimes, but I often shoot in dim light.</p>

<p>The Sigma 30mm f1.4 is the closest to what you are looking for but a bit long at 30mm (60mm E). They are available at B&H for $439, I notice the 25mm f1.4 Leica lens for 4:3 is out of stock, it says 'temporarily', hmmm, I wonder how long temporarilary will really be. At $900 a copy I can't imagine a large market for this lens.</p>

<p>On a different note, you won't find a fast normal that is also compact for the regular 4:3 mount. That is because, to clear the mirror they have to be a retrofocal design, read 'large and expensive'. Your Panasonic 20mm f1.7 can be so compact because the optics and supporting structure can extend into the camera. A 20mm f1.7 could be designed for the regular 4:3 mount but it would be much much larger and a lot more expensive than your lens. I really think, despite what Olympus says, that micro 4:3 is the only future that format has.</p>

<p>The 20mm 1.7 is a great little lens. I have read elsewhere that 4/3 users have found lenses in the OM mount that fit and work well without the automation and with the OM to ED adapter.<br /> Yes, Olympus being a smaller player have not found the scale of sales to come out with anything like what you want at the price you want to pay. And primes have been not the top of the list either. With some notable exceptions.<br /> I have managed with F 2.8 and F 2 and I goose up the ISO for my shots. (I also learned how to use flash successfully).<br /> One of the breaks with the 4/3 system as others have noted. We do pay a great price for the really super fast glass.<br /> Nor is Panasonic so budget in some of their micro 4/3 lens offerings with the Leica imprimatur.</p>

Ah I didn't know the technical difference that m4/3 lenses benefit from-thanks for the info! I think I'll try to send my e5

back and look at something else... The store said they would take it back with a restocking fee for exchange to

another camera of my choice =). All the lenses and body will give me, after restock fee, about $4500cdn... Not too

sure what to get instead.

<p>You would love the Panasonic DMC GH 2 I do believe, Patrick. Mine just arrived last Friday and I am tickled over the features. I have to say it will be likely get more used than the E-3 for any travel activity at least.<br /> Panasonic put the kitchen sink and the disposall in this baby. The manual alone is 208 pages. Name it, any shooting option or format option or crop or art filter and its in there. <br /> Since you enjoy micro 4/3, and have a 20mm 1.7, I suspect this one would be your bread and butter and marmelade.... And who knows, you might even like shooting some HD movies eventually w stereo sound yet. HD is well implemented on this one it seems. (Buggers make you buy some durn mini HDMI to HDMI cord, but whatcha gonna say..) <br /> It comes with the bland 14-42 lens, plastic mount face, but you can buy it body only. I did not opt for the slowish speed14-140 lens, after much thought, though optically it is reported to be fine indeed.<br /> Anyway, if you can find one at your shop or on special order or wherever else in CA you are at, I'd check it out. Great long user review on Amazon that I linked to in recent previous posting. <br /> But since you have a large credit there, you may seek to go for something like the interesting Pentax K-5 w brace of lenses, that one is not to be dismissed all I read on it.<br>

Although, the E-5 may be worth keeping after all for trips to the snow country and rainy B.C....(or sell to one of us in a year:-))<br>

.I hate to restock fee anything unless I must...<br /> I will need a month to study this GH2 baby's features. Touch screens and all.<br /> Good grief, what a confection!</p>

<p>Neglected to mention, what I noticed, last time I checked the B and H on line, is that Pentax has a flock oflenses, fast lenses, pancakes, teles, all kinds, at what appear to be competitive prices for good glass. Not sure about previous K entries but this new K-5 model is one I would love to get my hands on for a spin,just for fun,not much chance of that in the islands at Ritz I imagine. ( I am sounding like an "apostate" here now, but- shuckeedarn-, they are all good brands in the top rung, and I knock none of them. ( For instance, I would never part with a pair of Pentax 10x50 binoculars, over Nikon or Olympus, well made indeed.) One small example of many I pulled up just now:<br>

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/743117-USA/Pentax_21987_35mm_DA_L_F2_4.html<br>

Not saying this is one is that great, but surely a great price for a lens of this aperture and in that sweet normal FOV range for APS-C. 1.6X FL, if I recall. An idea, anyway...</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>My vote is to keep the E-5. Us it and see how it works out while playing with fill flashes to get what you need when shooting in dim light or maybe Bounce flashes if the ISO can get high enough. Look for some other fast Options. Like the Sigma 24mm f/1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro lens. If that's too get a nice adapted manual focus film lens to use on it, like a 28mm 2.0 or a 24mm 2.0. I Know of a couple 28mm f/2.0 lenses going for about one fifty. And you can wait till a Panasonic 25mm comes available somewhere for less than a thousand , or maybe olympus will come out with a faster prime lens.</p>