Speedlight triggering from a 7D?

bob_king3

<p>Hello all,<br>

I am just starting to experiment with moving my flash off camera, but am confused by the books I've been reading with respect to remote triggering from my 7D. I have figured out how to trigger the 430ex remotely, but I'm frustrated with the popup required to do that. Is there any way to disable that, or would a pocket wizard or sync cord prevent that? I'd also like to try using two off camera flashes. Does that require a pocket wizard? Any guidance is appreciated!</p>

<p>The popup flash on camera send out information to the remote flashes via infrared signals encoded in the bursts of lights that it puts out. It's really fast and looks like one flash to our eyes. I'm not a fan of this method.<br>

I use inexpensive flash triggers based on radio frequencies as opposed to infrared. I used to use Cybersyncs from alienbees. They work great but I've found a cheaper more solid solution.<br>

CheetahStand.com sells these Pixel Soldier triggers/receivers that are very good. It's only $60 for a set. The great thing is that they do grouping which means you can turn off certain flashes remotely.<br>

PocketWizards are expensive and limiting. They only have a flash sync speed of 160/sec. Good luck trying to do high speed sync with them. It's bad enough that our cameras have sync speeds around 250th. We don't need to go slower.<br>

Pixel also have a model called the Knights, that does TTL for both Canon and Nikon.</p>