Off-brand center filters?

todd_caudle

I bought a Hoya HMC center filter because it was cheap, ahem I mean inexpensive. After cleaning it once the optical coating was streaked to the point that it appears to be ruined. Cost about $140. You get what you pay for!

Reading carefully Jack Dykinga's book...apparently he doesn't use a center filter on his 75mm Schneider.

"Reading carefully Jack Dykinga's book...apparently he doesn't use a center filter on his 75mm Schneider."

Yeah, I haven't used one for the few years I've had my 75mm, but there is a pretty substantial light fall-off toward the corners. I hate to lose the amount of the filter factor, but I'll squint a little harder at the GG to have more even transparencies.

And THANKS, Ellis, for the Heliopan suggestion. That was the brand name I was trying (and failing) to remember.

Todd, You may be interested to learn that Robert White is

offering Hoya CF for the princely sum of £75 UK pounds. If the

75mm lens has a 67mm thread you may need a step up ring as

the 67mm size CF is not listed ( only 72 and 77mm I think). May

be worth a look??

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Hoya's HMC coating. In my experience, it's as hard-wearing as Nikon's, or any other multicoating.<br>The fact that someone has been able to ruin the coating through careless cleaning doesn't make it the fault of the manufacturer!<p>My 72mm Hoya HMC centre filter does sterling service on both my LF WA lenses and an 18mm lens for 35mm. The centre density is about 2/3rds of a stop, and the deep green multicoating is very flare resistant.