Croatia

Mary Doo

<p>For starters, no matter what you do - make sure to visit Plitvice Lakes, the place came straight from a fairytale!<br>

Croatia is beautiful all year round, but obviously it might be cold in winter, wet during autumn and crowded during summer. Shoulder season (e.g. May-June and September) could be a nice time - less crowded, better sky for photography and last, but not least - cheaper than in high season.</p><div>00Y3n0-322871584.jpg.a58d91eb7d2f10121e82fe64ea452f0f.jpg</div>

<p>Definitely go to Krka Falls National Park. If you follow the Krka River (a few kilometers east of Sibenik if I remember correctly) upstream through a beautiful gorge you'll reach a series of spectacular waterfalls. Hike along the trails through a wonderful, tropical-like vegetation. A magic place to me!</p>

<p>Visit the beautiful islands of Cres and Losinj.</p>

<p>If you make it to the south, don't miss Dubrivnik. Try to find a place where you can look over the old town at sunset from the south. You'll never forget that view.</p><div>00Y3qq-322907584.thumb.jpg.1d1b98c897acec029ddb34902d2eabad.jpg</div>

<p>I strongly second the Plitvice Lakes. Although it has been 25 years since I was there, it remains one of my favorite natural sites. For maximum flexibility, I suggest getting a couple of good guidebooks, a couple of good maps and just renting a car going at your own pace.</p>

<p>From my own experience running photo tours to Croatia I recommend two months;<br>

June - warm enough for a swim and not so packed with toursits yet. Also Hvar islands is at most beatiful for its lavender fields - unforgettable views! The downside of June is long days - if you want to catch sunrise you will need to get up very early and wait for sunset long after nine PM - tiring.<br>

September - less tourists than in Jul/Aug but still warm and the sea stays much warmer than in June. Also its easier for sunrises and sunsets. Not to mention all the season fruits...<br>

When deciding between Plitvice lakes and Krka falls - Plitvice lakes are UNESCO world heritage for a reason.</p>

<p>Luka</p>

<p>I've visited there many times. All the places mentioned are nice. I especially like Krka and Plitvice. I like to stay in Trogir and use that as the base for places like Krka, Sibenik, Split <em>(Diocletian's Palace & Salona</em>)<em></em> and Zadar. I'd suggest you avoid the crowds in late July and August. Spring is probably best for the waterfall parks. have fun -jeffl</p>

<p>I will agree with the others on Plitvice lakes - must see. I don't know how long will you stay, but I would suggest you stay a bit longer than one day at Plitvice. From your site I see that you prefer to shoot early and late in the day. One day will be not enough for that. You can visit few places at the coast - like Dubrovnik, Split and Zadar, and still have time to visit Plitvice and Krka for a few days if you have two weeks. That tour does look nice, but I would like more freedom.<br>

There is just too many islands to choose from, many are easily reachable.<br>

September is probably the best time of the year.</p>