travel gear

carole_lehrman

<p>I'm going to Puerto Rico and visiting the rain forest as well as other sites. I have a Nikon d90 and the kit 18-105 lens as well as a 35mm fixed lens. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a third lens that I could use. Also, are there any filters you would suggest since I only have the protective filter on my 18-105 right now.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Carole</p>

<p>Hi Carole,<br>

Rainforests are full of little critters ( some more dangerous than others. :-) ), so maybe if you're also intrested in makro, you might think of some kind of makro lens with sufficient distance to subject possibillities..<br>

I think I personally would take something like a 105mm micro nikkor or a 150mm sigma or similar ...</p>

<p>Hi Carole,<br>

Usually during a trip like that a macro lens could be very helpful. Depending on your budget you can look at Nikon 60/2.8... 85/3.5 VR or 105/2.8 VR. Great alternative at a good price is Tamron 90/2.8 or even 60/2. Sigma and Tokina have also some good offers. These macro lenses will add also a nice portrait feature to your kit.<br>

For landscapes a good polarizer (CPL) is a must...</p>

<p>I also have the D90 and I personally would go with three lenses: 17-50mm f/2.8 Tamron, 70-300mm VR Nikon lens and a macro of your choice, say, the Sigma 150mm. You won't miss the 50-70mm range (I don't anyway) and the 70-300 will really help you get some close-up shots of critters who might be just a bit far for your 105mm. I would also suggest a polarizer for its effect on foliage and water as well as sky. Just my 2 cents.</p>

<p>the 18-105 is a good length for snapshots during good light and a fast prime for low-light is a good idea. for travel, however, i don't go anywhere without a wide-angle (wider than 18, that is). i would also consider a longer tele, like a 70-300 VR or 70-300 VC. a macro with good working distance is a good idea for lil' critters in a rainforest but you may need a tripod for extreme magnification. i would definitely take a CPL and/or GND filter, i just got the Genus multi-GND which is like 1/3rd the price of the Singh-Ray. also, moisture/exposure could be an issue. the d90 isn't terribly weather-sealed, so i would consider a Kata (or other brand) elements cover and/or an umbrella which can be mounted on a tripod or stand (not to mention a lightweight waterproof shell which stuffs into a pouch or a pocket). <a href="http://www.clikelite.com/">clik elite</a> makes these outdoor packs which have a built in stand you can use as a tripod or umbrella stand, but they're pretty expensive. i would also think about a photo waistpack with an AW cover in addition to a backpack in case you get hit with a sudden downpour--in the tropics, weather can change suddenly. finally, if you are photographing in lowish light with a variable-aperture lens or at large aperture numbers for increased DoF, an external flash may be helpful.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If the OP is into some wildlife photography, I would add the 70-300mm/f4.5-5.6 AF-S VR to gain some reach. In my recent trip to Costa Rica, my new 28-300mm/f3.5-5.6 AF-S VR was quite useful in many occasions (although I also had a 200-400mm/f4 with tripod for more serious wildlife photography).</p>

<p>I lived in PR for two years, '06 - '08. In addition to what you have, I'd take:</p>

<ul>

<li>a couple of small trash bags you can keep in your pocket to put over your camera and gear. It suddenly rains daily somewhere in PR, but usually passes very quickly. Be on the lookout for rainbows - PR is the rainbowing-est place I've ever been. In the upper part of El Yunque it rains about 240"/year. The park isn't really all that great for photography, and they're not open at sunrise/sunset times when the view from the watchtowers would really pay off. There are better waterfalls elsewhere on the island, but the couple they have are ok. One is right on the main road. If you're really into waterfalls go see Rio Usabon in San Cristobal Canyon or Chorro De Doña Juana by El Toro Negro instead. </li>

<li>An ultra-wide angle lens like a 10-24 or 12-24 Nikon. Very useful in Old San Juan, at the old forts (El Morro and San Cristobal), the radiotelescope at Aricebo, Camuy caverns, and other places. A 12-24 stayed on my camera most of the time I was there, because I didn't have a 10-24 then. The 18-105 should be plenty good for the rest of what you'll shoot. I seldom used my 18-200, and then only below about 105mm. I only used my 80-400 a couple of times in two years.</li>

<li>Circular polarizing filter. Useful on the WA zoom in Old San Juan and other places where the streets are narrow enough you won't see much sky all at once. It'll knock glare reflections off water, foliage and windows and saturate the earth tones on the buildings. </li>

<li>If you're into shooting beach scenes, I'd suggest a graduated neutral density (GND) filter or two. The rectangular ones work best because the transition area isn't in the middle of the frame all the time. I'd go with a 2-stop soft and 3-stop hard grad filters.</li>

<li>If you want to shoot silky-looking waterfalls and fountains, bring a neutral density (ND) filter and a lightweight travel tripod. I'd suggest at least 4 stops of attenuation; 6 stops would be better.</li>

<li>A macro lens if you're into that. </li>

</ul>

<p>I would additionally consider getting an external flash if you don't have one, and learn how to do daylight fill flash - it can come in handy.</p>

<p>Whistle back to the coqui for me...I miss them. Enjoy your trip!</p>

<p>If you are into wildlife, getting pix of birds and other wildlife that isn't necessarily real close (in flight or just sitting), the 70-300 is an excellent idea. I'm really happy with mine, got some great shots from a couple hundred feet away that I've been able to crop down and still enjoy. Deep in the forest the fact that it's 5.6 at the long end may be a tad restrictive, but crank up the ISO and deal with the noise in post.</p>

<p>I think you'll get more use from a wider lens than from a longer lens. I'd consider a Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 or Tokina 12-24 f/4. I have the Sigma and I like it very much. I chose it over the Tokina because it was wider. 2mm doesn't sound like much, but it can make a difference at times.</p>

<p>I visited PR a few years ago with, at the time, a new D50 and my polarizing filter. They really did a great job in capturing the wonderful colors of the sky and the lush tropical forests and constant rainstorms. You could look into a 50 f/1.8 and a wide angle to capture the landscape. I have the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 and it does a great job. I would advise on a good quality lense since the rainforest is very very damp unless you are going to get a raincover.<br>

Have fun shooting and take plenty of memory cards and a portable drive to download your photos daily.</p>