Near Portsmouth NH – Which Park is Most Photogenic?

john_bald

<p>Question about these parks in Portsmouth NH & Kittery ME. Are any of them good for photography? Thank you -John<br>

Rye Harbor State Park<br>

Wallis Sands State Park<br>

Odiorne Point State Park<br>

Fort Stark State Historical Site<br>

Fort McClary State Park (Kittery)<br>

Fort Foster Park (Kittery)</p>

Rye Harbor State Park is small on a point near the entrance to Rye Harbor. Not much to shoot.

Wallis Sands is mainly a beach for swimming.

Odiorne State Park has a small museum and you can hike around the park property but outside of a couple of people I never found much to shoot there.

Fort Foster has a view of the Porstmouth Harbor entrance and a lighthouse and a house on a close by Island.

Fort McClary is a restored Fort that has a view of Pepperell Cove and the yacht harbor there. I have taken pictures of boats etc at the Yacht harbor. Nothing exceptional.

There is a an oceanside trail starting in York Harbor called the Cliff Walk that will at least give you a view of some of the rockbound coast in that area. Parking at the beach where it starts can be difficult in summer but is available along Rt. 1a. Access is from York Harbor Beach. Parking at the beach is for locals I believe.

I have photographed fishing boats in York Harbor if you are interested.

The most notable photographic attraction in York is the Nubble Light. It is on an island and is one of the nations most photographed lights in america. I have gotten some good pictures when the seas are high. See my gallery.

There are three tugs parked in Portsmouth Harbor near Bow street that are quite photogenic in afternoon light.

Take the drive from Portsmouth to New Castle for some harbor views. If you circle around to Rye on that route you will see the beautifully recently restored old hotel called Wentworth by the Sea.

<p>As mentioned the last 4 are the best for photos. If you are coming in the warmer months, Prescott Park in portsmouth has some good scenery and great gardens/flowers/etc.<br>

Stark is nice, there's a lot of interesting urban decay there. Same with Odiorne but it's more spread out and the decay is more sanitized, basically. Fort Foster is nice but not too much to see there, besides good shoreline and such. Most of the ruins at these places are off limits (fenced, sealed, etc.) but sometimes something might be open and accessible, which can lead to some more interesting shots.</p>

<p>-Ed</p>

<p>If you like seaside and interesting rock formations, the Marginal Way walking path at Ogunquit is not far from Portsmouth (about 1/2 hour by car) and quite photogenic. It's like a very small segment of the famous Acadia Park near Bar Harbour in northern Maine.</p>