Pocket Wizards, Nikon Speedlights, 503CW

timlayton

<p>As I continue to think through how to leverage my existing gear with my new 503CW I am now thinking about flashes. I have several Nikon Speedlights (e.g, SB-900's, SB-400's, etc) that I can use. In most of my scenes I end up using two or more flashes to achieve the lighting that I want. I understand that I can't use the flashes in TTL mode on the 503CW and that is of no concern to me because I meter all my scenes anyway. I would likely just run the flashes in manual mode and control their output levels individually.</p>

<p>I was thinking of picking up some <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/441353-REG/PocketWizard_801_125_Plus_II_Transceiver_Radio.html">PocketWizard Plus II</a> radios to use. I can hook one of the radios up to my lens via the pc cable as expected and then use a radio on each of my subsequent flashes. I have verified the radios will sync for leaf shutters up to 1/500th. 95% of my photography is tripod based so I am looking for the best way to secure the radio either to the camera or tripod. I am not sure how long the pc cable is that ships with the PocketWizard so this may have some impact on choices. I was thinking of Velcro or something like this. If you are using this configuration, let me know what works best for you. </p>

<p>Before I pull that trigger and go down the path of buying the PocketWizards does anyone here have any input, comments or suggestions regarding this solution? </p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>Tim</p>

<p>The PWs are equipped with 12" pc to miniphone cables. Ultimately, you will mount the Transmitter on the hotshoe of a prism finder, in which case, the length of the cable will be long enough to use without extra manipulation or accessories. If you use the Waist Level Finder, you may need to purchase a longer cable to properly mount the Transmitter to the tripod, and they souldn't be too hard to find. As for the Receivers(and Transmitter / Transceiver), they come with a short strap(4" to 5") which I use to hang on lightstand knobs, so I haven't felt the need to employ any other method of attachment, but certainly, if you need to secure them firmly, Velcro would work nicely.</p>

<p>If you have a prism, a Pocketwizard mounts in the cold shoe on top of the prism, connected to the lens with the adapter cable. If you use an SB-900 on the camera, you can put it on a bracket or on the prism shoe, connect the flast to the lens and the Pocketwizard to the auxillary PC port on the left side of the SB-900. In lieu of a prism finder, you could use a flash bracket and/or Velcro to hold the Pocketwizard.</p>

<p>For remote flash units on stands, I usually hang the Pocketwizard from a knob on the stand by it's carrying strap. Pocketwizards are very light, so you could also attach it to the battery cover of a Nikon flash with Velcro. You could use the optical (IR) port on the remote flash, but I find that unreliable in large rooms or where you can't establish a line of sight between the master flash and the IR port.</p>

<p>The "Automatic" mode of an SB-900 works very well with a camera mounted flash unit. In Automatic mode, the flash exposure, reflected from the subject, is measured with a photocell on the front of the flash.</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses everyone. Edward you make a good point about Automatic mode on the SB-900's. I didn't think of that. I don't normally use these flashes that often and haven't used them in automatic mode. I want to run a couple of assumptions by you and make sure my thinking is correct.</p>

<p>I assume that the auto mode works best with a single flash setup? When I use two or more flashes does the automatic mode still apply to the other flashes as long as they have line of sight to the subject and are in slave mode? </p>

<p>For my secondary flashes and fill lights many times they are on the floor or pointing backwards at a wall or something so I normally have just put them in manual mode and controlled the output that way. I am always open to learning new techniques so let me know if there are additional ways to leverage these SB-900's with my 503CW. BTW, I only use the WLF with the 503CW. </p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>Tim</p>

<p>The Pocketwizard Plus II triggers work fine. I use them with my V-series Hasselblad system.</p>

<p>However... They're horribly overpriced.</p>

<p>The only reason I bought the PWs is that my exposure meter can trigger them using the RF link rather than a cable, which I find advantageous.</p>

<p>I would suggest the Cybersync triggers from Paul Buff. http://alienbees.com/remotes.html</p>

<p>These have some technical advantages over the PWs that I won't bore you with, and they're a whole lot cheaper.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Pocketwizards are horribly overpriced? What's the cost of failure? Mine work under extraordinarily adverse conditions, like just under the Sears Tower, where my remote key won't open my car 18" away.</p>

<p>Automatic flash is convenient for candids, but I always use manual control for multiple flashes or formal groups. Setups and exposure are pretty simple using a flash meter. I could be done and packed up in the time it takes to fiddle with TTL remotes, assuming they have enough power anyway.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Pocketwizards are horribly overpriced?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, that's what I said, and I'll say it again...</p>

<p>Pocketwizards are horribly overpriced. The selling price supports an unconscionable profit margin.</p>

<p>They use antiquated technology (344 MHz v. 2.4 GHz) that makes them more susceptible to interference.</p>

<p>They brainwash the buying public into thinking they're reliable by comparing its operation with chinkese junk.</p>

<p>How many radio control systems have you designed? I've designed several.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>Tim,<br />with reference to fixing a pocket wizard (or other) to your 503CW. If you use a WLF then get hold of an 'Adjustable Flash Shoe' part# 43125 which fits onto the side accessory rail. They come up regularly on eBay.<br>

~Laurence</p>

<p>I use cheap Cowboy Studio transmitters to work with my Canon 430 EX II, which I use in manual mode. I use my MF Fuji GF670 and a Gossen light meter do determine the flash exposure settings.<br>

Sample (my self portrait):<br>

<a href=" I shine

It is easy to work with them.</p>