1 D Mk IV + 2x Ext III + EF 500 f4 works?

stephan_matthies

<p>Hi there,<br>

I am thinking of upgrading my equipment. I still don't own any of the above mentioned yet. So, here's the question: Canon says (compatibility chart) that the 2x Extender iii allows AF e.g. with the 500 f4 but only with the 1 D-series cameras. Can anyone verify this, since Canon sometimes does not seem to know their own products?<br>

Plus: I read that the 1 D Mk IV has problems to focus in low light conditions and renders soft images. Any comments? Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>Also check to see if the 7D has AF with 2x and f4 lenses, it is a superior and cheaper body. </p>

<p>I hope you are able to use the 500/4 on it's own or with a 1.4x as well to truly make use of its high image quality. Each increment in converter multiplier degrades more image quality. </p>

<p>No idea bout III but the following combination works fine: 1D3/1D4 + 500/4 L IS + 2x II TC and AF is not too sluggish either.  OTOH if you need such a  combo often, the 600 + 1.4x TC would probably be faster in terms of AF. <br>

<em> </em><br>

<em>> Canon sometimes does not seem to know their own products</em><br>

Fascinating assertion...Evidence..?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Yes, the 1 series will autofocus with the center point with f/8 lenses. So a 500/4 with 2x or 400/5.6 w/1.4x will both autofocus on any 1D camera.</p>

<p>I've also read that the 1d4 has problems autofocusing in low light. Fortunately, my 1d4 hasn't read the same reviews, because it works just fine. That said, don't expect miracles when using border autofocus points on an f/4 lens when you yourself have problems seeing the subject. Autofocus is more than just pointing the camera in a general direction and mashing a button. I question how much experience people have that write reviews like that.</p>

<p>Eric</p>

<p>Yes, it will work. All 1D cameras will focus with an f/8 or wider lens. 500mm f/4L + 2x = 1000mm f/8. All non 1D cameras maintain AF at f/5.6. Not sure about the 1D IV low light focusing, but since this is the lastest of their flagship 1D full pro line, I would imagine it has the best, most advanced AF of any Canon camera. I know the AF on my 1D II is incredible.</p>

<p>Thanks everybody for the comments. John, I own the 7d and it does not provide autofocus with f4-lenses and a 2x converter. The 600 f4 is just toooo heavy and I reckon that the 500 f4 + 1.4 converter + a camera with crop factor should get the magnification I am looking for. The 7d is a wonderful camera. It's just that the 2x converter does neither work with f4-lenses on my 7d nor on my 5d mk2. Thanks again.</p>

<p>Only 1 series bodies (and the old film EOS 3) provide AF with F8 lenses. That said I have the 2x TC Mk II and find it has a big impact on AF speed and image quality. 1 series cameras have the best AF Canon makes - this includes the 7D which I own. My 7D is very good but not as good as my old 1DIIN. <br>

By the way this is a very long effective lens 1000mm on APS-H is an effective 1300mm lens. You will probably find it very hard to keep steady. If you really need this effective focal length the 7D with the 500 F4 and 1.4 x TC gives an effective 1120mm F5.6 lens.</p>