Canon 40D locks up

kerry_grim

My 40D appears to be dead. I press the shutter and the mirror locks up. I then must turn it off, remove the

battery and reinsert it for the mirror to come back down. For awhile this would sometime work, but now it always

locks up. Never got an error code.

I tried this:

Removed all custom functions.

Removed both batteries and left them removed for awhile, tried all lenses, tried different cards.

Thinking it might be bad software, I downloaded a later firmware and that made no difference.

Tried mirror lockup enabled and disabled, makes no difference.

When I press the shutter, the screen on the top goes blank. It also goes blank simply by pressing the flash pop

up button.

Certainly it will need to be sent back. Just wondering if there is something obvious I had not though of. The

shutter has 13,000 actuations. Thinking back about a 1000 actuations ago there was just a very occasional

lockup, which I though little of at the time.

<p>Hello,<br>

I had something rather like this with my 40 D last summer, installing the batteries caused the mirror to flip/lock as did removing or inserting the CF card. I returned the camera for service by Canon and was told it was a mirror assembly failure. Replacing the unit was a fixed price job that took under a week (via CPN in the UK). After repair the camera was back in regular service.</p>